does anyone have any idea why my lights flicker, all my light inside and out

troyvega
10

Asked by troyvega Nov 26, 2012 at 05:37 PM about the 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 4WD

my lights flicker when on inside and out my dash,head lights interior everything

Dan Connell
5,375

what engine is it equipped with. and does it do it all the time or just when you start it in the morning or after its sat for a long time?

6,025

Diodes in the alternator are going, this is most noticable at idle. Check for bad connectons at battery , alternator and grounds.

Dan Connell
5,375

Not necessarily Chrysler charging systems are highly based off of battery temperature. This truck has battery temperature sensors in the battery tray, dodge trucks cycle the PCM controlled voltage regulator on and off at a set voltage of 12.8 volts until the batteries reach a specified temperature, this will cause dash, over head, and head lights to pulsate.

troyvega
10

It does it once the lights get turned on and has gotten worse sometimes more then others, its like i have huge amp in there. lol, I have had people pull over thinking I was a cop behind them. not sure if I need to take it to dodge or I can fix it just need some guidance

troyvega
10

Dan it has the cummings

Dan Connell
5,375

Does it happen all the time, or when the truck is cold like has sat over night, or for a number of hours?

Clay Taylor
185

My '03 Cummins equipped truck does the same thing when the grid heater kicks on and off. I can watch the lights in the truck dim and my headlights will slightly dim and then come back on. Only notice this when it's cold enough for the grid heater to come into play.

6,025

Thats just because the heater draws alot of current. Similar things happen when ac kicks on or things like that.

Dan Connell
5,375

The grids only make the lights flicker because on a cold start the BCM is reading battery temp, and only charging at a 12.5 volts just enough to keep from damaging ECM contained injector drivers. chrysler picked a shitty way to build their charging system which is why I run a GM style 1 wire alternator on my 05 Cummins.

Clay Taylor
185

I was stating this fact as a possible solution to the OP, not looking for an answer to a problem. Maybe this is what he is noticing.

Dan Connell
5,375

Yeah thats what I was gonna tell him if he replied to my question that I asked like 4 posts up about ambient temperature, my guess is he figured it out himself haha

Steven Lindgren
5

it is just the grid heaters turning on and off, no problem normal operation

Smooth Detter
20

It is not the grid heater, listen to the symptoms. He didn't say dimmed down, he said pulse like cop headlights. I have had many Dodge trucks, and now my '07 is having this pulsing problem. Instead of guessing, it would be nice if someone who really has had this happen and had it fixed would reply.

Dan Connell
5,375

Sorry, let me just miracle it fixed. I dont even know why I continue to put information out on this any way. its absolutely useless talking to what 90% of the time are knowledgeless people. If you want your truck fixed, drive to Conway, South Carolina, and I will gladly fix it for you instead of just give away good information and starting points that youre going to ignore any way. but I just want to know, if youre so sure that its not the grid heater, why your problem fixed?

oneshunglow
0

my 08 dodge with cummins does the same. interior and exterior lights dim and brighten & the engine lopes at an idle. I turn the blower motor fan on high it stops and everthing is normal. I come out in the morning and sometimes I need to jump start it and sometimes I dont. I dont know if it is a battery or the alternator. It doesnt do it all the time but more frequently in the last couple weeks now.