does any independent repair shop replace battery in 2008 bmw 328i?

Kgeeg
15

Asked by Kgeeg Apr 12, 2013 at 03:42 PM about the 2008 BMW 3 Series 328i

61,145

A independent shop should be able to. Where do you live? I can list a few.

Kgeeg
15

Midland, TX I've called some, no one wants to do bmw because the computer has to be reset? Thanks!!

114,335

Why not go to the dealer? BMW of Permian Basin too much? Did you call Lone Star Automotive 432-699-5700

Kgeeg
15

Tom, I called Lone Star and they said they do replace and reset computer on BMW. I was so glad to find that out, but I forgot to ask how much they charge! My Bad!

mrmoony
2,320

By keeping 12v on the car's system I don't know why you would have to reset anything in order to do a battery change.

114,335

mrmoony, BMW's require you to program the new battery so it gets the correct charge as the computer monitors the voltage/amperage, escpecially if you use a different battery with different CCA's. Kgeeg, glad I could help. Should be around $50?

61,145

Audi is the same way Tom. They have to tell the system that a new battery is installed and what type. The car monitors the battery life and tells you when to replace it before it fails. The Audi people can use a VAG COM cable to reset the MMI interface. Is there such a thing for BMW? Maybe some BMW forum members can tell you if you can reset and/or how much to have a shop do it.

Kgeeg
15

That's great to know! Dealer wants $485! Just a 36 mo. battery, too.

Michael Branan
2,075

Try Batteries Plus. They have several options. You may not need to reset the computer. If you do, you usually can do it yourself. Double check your owner's manual.

James Chadek
375

Hook a fully charged jumper box to the cable before you disconnect the battery to install the new one. Disconnect when done. No computer brain loss.

sandrabmw
20

I live in Midland too! And this just happened to me at the BMW dealer in Midland. I was told that "you can't just go to Auto Zone and get a battery. You need our battery because it has to be programmed to work with all of the components in the car." Now I'm out $500.

You think this is helpful.
Kgeeg
15

Same thing they told me. Is everything higher in Midland? Seems that way sometimes. It's a shame we don't all make the big bucks like most of the town.

smbsteve
20

My 2008 328i battery gave out today Original battery 68,000 miles Dealer wanted $535 to replace. I took it to Top Tier BMW repair shop and new battery installed, registered tax and out the door $275 In Cumming, GA