08 honda civic low rpms while driving

rmac25
0

Asked by rmac25 Dec 01, 2012 at 01:49 AM about the 2008 Honda Civic LX

I recently bought a 2008 honda civic lx, I'm having an issue with the RPM's bouncing for example ill be driving then the RPMs usually will bounch from 2k-2.5k down to 1.5k, and after giving it a little more pressure on the pedal it will correct the RPM's back to 2.5k ... but it doesnt take long for it to do it again. it seems after it drops the RPM's the car isnt as powerful and will gradually gain speed but RPM's stay around 1.5k... if i allow it to stay at 1.5k there is sometimes a vibration until i give it more gas. this happens with my foot on the pedal not changing my pressure. it also will bounce the RPM's while its set to cruise control.. any ideas??? im pretty worried it could be something serious

DavidH25

Can you feel it shifting gears? It sounds like it's going in and out of overdrive, try turning O/D off see what happens

aztec626bf
6,545

I would get linked to a live data engine analyzer and see what is happening.

1,785

when was the last time you had a tune up? is the check engine light on?

rmac25
0

I checked some of your ideas, there are no problems in 3rd(d3), it only happens while in drive (d). I dont see an overdrive button and cant find any information about overdrive on 08 civics online. There are no lights on I've driven the car approx 400 miles since I purchased the car so even if the computer was reset i imagine the lights wouldve turned on by now. I've owned automatic cars before and I've never had a similar issue, maybe it could be something honda did intentionally, only thing that really gets me worried if the rpms get really low(a little under 1.5k) the car will vibrate until more pressure is given to the pedal.

Robert Headley
0

I'm having the same problem.