Silverado Sputters during acceleration

rjstrock
20

Asked by rjstrock Feb 09, 2013 at 04:31 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1

I have a 2008 model Silverado, 6 cylinder. About 6 months ago, I noticed the engine sputtering or missing when I would accelerate (going up a grade or passing a truck). If I back off the gas, it seems to recover. Out of curiosity, I gave it a lot of gas when this started happening, and the check engine light started flashing. It seems to happen right around 2,000 RPMs. I took it to a mechanic, but they couldn't find anything wrong. The truck has about 90,000 miles.

judge_roy

Sounds like the famous EGR, which forces the engine to smell it's own exhaust during decelleration, unfortunately decides to not co-operate, either because it was not given instructions to 'let go now' due to a leaking or removed vacuum hose so has to smell it's own exhaust causing poor performance and a bad day about it. Suspect the EGR that would only be noticed by your smog guy.

Best Answer
judge_roy

You had a light. THEY couldn't find ANYTHING wrong. me grandmama could do better. and she's been dead for five years~

rjstrock
20

In fairness to the mechanic, I hadn't gotten the light to turn on until after I took it in, but all of the other symptoms were present. Still surprised he couldn't find more...

judge_roy

...so you looked at the EGR, and it does not work/is buggered up. In that case, I'd recommend you mark the prior assessment "best answer" in the name of keepin it on the level~

rjstrock
20

Haven't had a chance to check EGR yet. Will let you know if that turns out to be the problem. Thanks.

judge_roy

You are too kind...what else can it be, after considerable thought. It is about the right age to start in-

cowgirlup14
0

I know this is a little late but might help someone.. If your using cheap gas that could be the issue too might want to try using an octane booster with a half a tank of gas.. You should notice a difference pretty quickly. These trucks act funny with cheapo gas.