how do I get better gas mileage with my hemi5.7 gas engine

tullyjackson14971
0

Asked by tullyjackson14971 Dec 26, 2013 at 07:09 PM about the 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie Mega Cab 4WD

In 170 mile trip on th interstate I average 11 miles to a gallon  not close to what I was
told by the dealer what can I do or did someone do  something to change it

judge_roy

filters clean and NEW? which octane are you using....93 has got more PUNCH and you'll use the gas pedal LESS~ your driving style will have MORE to do than anything else....do not let the bumper-kisser behind you govern YOUR speed....remove your foot from the accelerator if you see that a RED light is about to happen...do not waste energy by RACIN' thru the "orange" light.....my 59 pontiac was smashed beyond reconciliation because the person was goin' for the accelerator instead of the brake~

judge_roy

11 is pretty lousy...the parking brake stuck on?

judge_roy

the EGR valve (if equipped) can puff exhaust gas into the intake (to reduce combustion temperatures) however if the EGR temp sensor thinks the combustion temperatures are too high will engage the EGR...intoducing "inert" gas robbing you of power and forcing you to ride it harder...I CAN see how this is happening...service your EGR~...temp sensor....look for problems with that...normally they WILL get fouled with carbon and get stuck...a can of brake cleaner and toothbrush can save the day here~

judge_roy

that's all I got....with the information you've given me....spark plug gap? ignition timing is pre-set these days, but a higher voltage and performance silicone sparkplugs may add a mile per gallon or two....what else?~