How to remove Brake Squeal on CLS 550

RSJA
0

Asked by RSJA Jan 03, 2011 at 09:18 AM about the 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS550

I would like to remove the pins and pads, and clean them up. how do I get the pins out,to remove the pads.

anjy834u
2,235

i would suggest you to check the user's manual and refer the pin details mentioned thre. http://clluxurycoupe.com/mercedes-benz-cl-photo-gallery/

Robottex
10

The pins are secured by spring clips on the inside so they should punch out. Note that you are striking the conical end of the pin, so it may be worth making up a drift, or modifying a punch, with a countersink in it so that the point doesn't flatten too much. Also note that the pins are stainless steel with steel clips and the casting is aluminium, this means that the dissimilar metals can essentially fuse. So you may need a lot of WD40 etc (which will ruin your pads if you want to reuse them) or you may even need to heat the area carefully to get the pin loose. On my 30k mile 07 cls one pin was so fused it bent before it finally shifted. So it may be worth having some new pins to hand before you start, I certainly will have next time! Once the pins are out the springs and the pads should come out easily. If in doubt check the manual, I know that the early W211 on which the cls is based has an SBS brake system that pressurises when doors are opened etc, not sure if the later cls systems have this too so be careful and if in doubt take it to your MB dealer I'm sure they earn their £ per hour they charge for labour.... Or not.