honda civic 1988, while i drive all of a sudden the car stops

Asked by amde Jan 08, 2013 at 03:09 PM about the 1988 Honda Civic DX

Then take your foot off the brake. Sorry, I couldn't resist that, It sounds like there may be an electrical problem with the ECM, or "brain" going faulty. In 1988 those were a relatively new concept and if it is original factory, have it checked. I don't know if that Honda has a fault port, if so AutoZone and some of the other chains will check it free.

could all so be the ignition module is going bad when they get faulty they heat up and short out when they cool off they will work fine untill they get hot again. Had that happen to me on a 1989 nison pickup. Replaced the module and never had another problem

It could also be the coils. Next time it stops, try some starting fluid to see if it fires. That will let you know if you have spark.

the problem is the your main relay or also known as your main circuit breaker...i used to own a 1988 honda civic for years which gave me the same problem and i found that the relay which is located right above the fuse box on the left hand side behind the dash board and screwed into the inner side fender even with the top door hinge is your problem, honda has known about this problem for years but no recalls??? you can get a couple at your local junk yard for a couple of dollars, hope this helps you!