tranny dipstick

jeff4829
0

Asked by jeff4829 Mar 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM about the 2008 Pontiac G6 Base

There is a plastic plug on top of tranny that u can unscrew but when u do there is no dipstick there is there supposed to be one or not ? Thanks to who answers. Its a 4 cyl

45,675

No dipsticks in the newer car transmissions. The red cap on top is where new fluid goes in. There is a plug on the side that gets removed to check the fluid level.

judge_roy

This is a bummer, 'cause my MINI CVT transmission is leaking cvt oil from the shaft and need oil...what am I supposed to take it up into the air, and do the "finger level" like we do on differentials...will have to study this troublesome aspect of "modern living" more in greater detail-

45,675

"what am I supposed to take it up into the air, and do the "finger level" like we do on differentials" -- That is correct Bob. Same deal on the manual transmissions. Being the kind of guy that I know you are - fill your tranny, remove the cap on top, measure the distance or see what parts are covered with fluid. It's the digital age, take a few pictures. When you want to check your level, take off the cap and compare your picture with what you see.