oil usage

slingshot6401
20

Asked by slingshot6401 Jul 01, 2011 at 08:48 PM about the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Touring

I have an 08 with the 3.8 engine, it is using over a quart of oil between changes, there are no leaks it runs good does not smoke or anything. Does anyone else have this problem or any ideas where the oil is going? thanks

papa

first how many miles is on it.useing a quart between oil changes is not that big of a deal.common problems,cloged pcv valve,loose or bad valve cover gaskets,loose VC bolts,leaking rear main seal,oil filter not tight enought,burning oil.but most Dodge -Chrysler vehicles use a little oil with age.

slingshot6401
20

it has 40k miles. i have checked the whole motor and had the chrysler dealer check it we couldn,t find any leaks. I will check the pvc valve tho didn't think of that. A friend of ours just bought an 08 too and theirs uses oil too, so i didnt know if it was normal or if we both got bad ones. thanks

papa

the 3.8 is known for useing a little oil.with 40 k i would not worrie to much,just keep a check on oil leval.

brucea
475

i have a 2008 w/ 28 k mi no leaks. 3.8 ....1qt oil per thou miles no smoke any clue why?

papa

No clue,every Mopar I ever owned used some oil.think of it this way,if a valve seal or other seal is leaking oil or using a little oil,at start up,it is not starting up on a dry engine.

lowpriced
10

Same problem...rear valve cover gasket.

atech2
60

every Chrysler product i service burns oil even my own I'm an auto tech for 20 years now low mileage cars should not burn three qts of oil in 3000 thousand miles its not normal my brother has a Pacifica with the same problem it burns a qt every 600 miles or so and he a had to replace the cat because the ash from the oil clogged it up My Town and Country is burning almost a qt and a half every thousand miles and I only have 30000 miles on it i think the 5w20 oil is to thin and the synthetic properties of it don't allow the rings to seat properly causing blow by You can use regular 5w30 to slow it down but they still burn it my 300000 mile honda never burned a drop but the new ones do almost any car built in the last decade burns oil its a shame

Chazabull
50

This link isn't very active but wanted to add to the info. 2008 T&C 3.8 eng 44K on it and using 1 QT+ in 1700 miles. Dealer says it is the Mobile 1 that I run in all of my engines including the lawn mower. Really??? This is the third 3.8 that we have owned and none of the others had a problem with Mobil 1

donotbuychrysler
20

Atech2 is right. I tried evrything else everybody is saying to no avail.The thing that makes me real angry not enough people are complaining to the nhtsa about it.They told me the more complaints they get the more they will try to get a recall from chrysler.Plus chrysler didn't change this motor design until 2011.Wow just imagine how many people are having the same problem.

brucea
475

love the car but oil loss is confusing no drips in driveway or on underbody, no smoke either. oft wondered 5w 20 too thin? it rattles with 20w30 also,another thing. once it stopped running except when i feathered the pedal to about 2500 rpm. no codes. after a week i opened aircleaner and idle straightened right up. was even drivable again , and gave codes finally, which was air filter. filter was very clean, no dust, no oil,still white, but new one fixed problem. i think compooter is just slow to set codes. whoodathunk?

bw2008
20

my 2008 does it too. ive had it to the dealership and they are no help. no leaks in my driveway. ive got 50,000 miles and go through about 1q evry 1500 miles. the check engine light is on and the code said the erg valve. i had that replaced and its still on. Im very conclered about how much oil I burn though

Herbst5
80

Glad to find this site. I have a 2006 T&C and I am having the same problem losing oil. One month after having oil changed, I had to stop in the shop to have them tell me I had no oil left. I don't travel far...just local runs in town. There is no signs of it leaking anywhere...not on the ground or under the vehicle and no smoke. WHERE is it going??? I will look into filing a complaint with the NHTSA. This van is a LEMON. SO many problems.

You think this is helpful.
Stacy Roe
50

I have a 2008 with 51,000 miles and I am having the same issues and was 2 quarts low at my last change. I change every 3 months/3,000 miles. I'm also getting terrible mileage; 13 mpg city. Dealer looked at it twice and decided the new EGR must have been bad but that only upped mileage from 10 to 13. Glad to find others with same problems. Can someone post a link to file a complaint? This model year is shit.

lmh320
40

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country with Flex Fuel. It's a 3.3L and has 107,000 miles on it. My oil has been running low every time I get the oil changed. I have the oil changed every 3000 miles. Two oil changes ago the mechanic told me it was 2 quarts low. They switched me to the high mileage oil to see if that would help, and the next oil change it was still 2 quarts low. This last oil change I had about 3 days ago was 3 quarts low. The mechanic ran some BG products through my engine to clean it. Some 109 followed up with some MOA. I haven't driven but 100 miles since the last oil change, so I don't know if this stuff helps with burning oil yet, BUT I will say my van hasn't run as smooth as it is now in a very long time. I have my hopes up, but we'll see. Problems I've had with this car: Front brakes wear out all of the time! There was a recall on them. A/C hose busted and and freon leaked out at 40,000 miles. EGR valve had to be replaced, part comes from the dealer only and is on back order by 2 months. I got my part expedited along with a rental car while I waited after endless complaining to Chrysler. Y hose that goes into thermostat busted and spewed coolant all over my engine while I had 6 kids in the car out of town. Right now I'm waiting to see if my check engine light is going to come back on after being cleared last week. My CEL came on with a code of p0456 (very small leak in evap. system) Mechanic said it may only be the gas cap. I bought a new cap and had the CEL reset. I've gone 250 miles so far and no light back on..................... YET! I will never ever ever ever ever EVERRRRR buy a Chrysler again!!!!

Anita Brown
40

I have a 2008 Chrysler town and country and it is burning oil in between every 3000 miles oil change. The dealer ship says its normal but i doubt it is. Chrysler really needs to recall this engine. Because mine has no oil leaks or anything else.

SVCOD
5

Same here. 2010 T&C 50K miles and burns at least 1 Qt. per 3000 miles. First vehicle to do this for me. Calling the stealership today!

Gregory Doura
30

I am having the same oil burning problem 2 quarts every 3000 miles. i have a 2009 town ans country touring 3.8. I have only had it 4 months. no one can seem to tell me why its happening

brucea
475

your 2010....is it a 3.8 or a 3.6 ?

Ron Zelachowski
270

I had the oil consumption issue on a 2008 dodge caravan 3.8. Van has a life time power train warranty on it so I went after dodge to get it fixed. My van was using over a quart every thousand miles. First problem was a head gasket oil leak. Dealer repaired under warranty. This slowed the consumption down to one quart every thousand miles which kept it on the warranty radar screen. They tried to blow me off however stayed and the Chrysler warranty rep they continued to search and found that the valve stem seals where bad. This was my guess the entire time however they replaced the seals and we are 1000 miles in after the repair and oil still full. It's has been a long process over a year of back and forth with the dealer and the Chrysler warranty rep but I think we finally got it fixed.

raylin
30

We had just bought our 2008 T&C with the 3.8 this spring with 59000 miles on it. Before delivery it was serviced. I checked the oil a few weeks ago and found it 2 quarts down. What the heck??? It was do for a change so I took it to the selling dealer and discussed the usage and was told Chrysler considers a quart/1000 miles to be normal. I have never heard anything like this till now. It seems the more I read, I'm not alone. While the dealer agrees with me, his hands are tied. We're trying 10W30 at his suggestion and I also read tonight about possible PCV valve problems. I'll get into that tomorrow but wow, I've never heard of that much oil usage being called acceptable. That's just plain BS.

Ron Zelachowski
270

PCV was not the answer to the oil issue. I put 2 in my 3.8 no difference. The valve stem seal replace fixed the problem. I believe Chrysler knows they have a problem and refuse to admit it. Maybe a class action law suit would get their attention!!!

Eddieo
30

Hmm, stem seals. The front ones are certainly easy enough to get at. I may try this in mine. My 3.8 (2008) started using at 50,000. It now has 100,000. It seems to use about a qt every 1,000 or 1200 miles. Changing weights did nothing. Much like bitching to the dealer. A qt every 600 is normal. it has not been worth my effort to have them put it on a watch and for me to drain it low enough before I take it in. I have done this job before on a 4.3 Chevy so it's not too bad. Just gotta make sure you have good compressed air t hold the valve. It would be a pain to have to replace the cat because of this

You think this is helpful.
Marine90
0

My dealership told me that Chrysler allows up to 1 quart of oil loss every 750 miles, as long as it's not leaking

Tpisan4
10

Have an 08 t&c touring with 80000 miles burning 2 qts of oil in between oil changes had to replace valve seals to hopefully salve the problem the mechanic that I took it to called a friend from the Chrysler dealership to have him say that this is a problem but may not be a 100% fix!!!!!! This needs addressed by Chrysler seeing how they narrowed so much of our money to stay in business stop the lies

You think this is helpful.
Jau327
10

My dealer said a qt every 500 miles is normal!! Oil light came on and it was 3 quarts low. I asked him what causes this and he wouldn't say anything but the Chrysler line. Couldn't tell me what to fix. Has 58000 miles. Oil changed on schedule every time. Giving me a reason to get rid of it. Going to try the consumption test first fuel to the warranty

jrahl
40

I have a 2008 T&C and from the get go it "consumed oil" to the point at 2500 it was bone dry. Took it to the dealer and they told me consuming 1 quart every 1000 miles was within industry standards. I contacted better business bureau and they said because Chrysler stipulates its within standard to consume 1 quart of oil every 750-100 miles that there is nothing they can do. SOOOO all you have to do as a company is say that your defect is a standard and nothing will get done. Shady business tactics by Chrysler

Ron Zelachowski
270

I've been the industry for 40 plus years and never have seen any car or truck that consumed the amount of oil that the 3.8 engine does. I was fortunate to get a life time power train warranty on my Caravan and when they replaced the valve stem seals the oil consumption slowed to 1 1/2 quarts at 5000 miles. Still not acceptable but I can deal with that. I currently have 47,000 miles on the vehicle. I as others have stated Chrysler does have a problem with this engine and refuses to admit it!!!!

Jclobdell
10

2008. Problem started at 20K miles. Continues to this day @ 40K. 5 quarts between changes. Just spoke with Chrysler again. Phone number is in back of owners manual for customer service. This was my 3rd call. They r now having a rep speak to the local service manager who keeps pressing me to get them involved. I will update on what developes.

You think this is helpful.
jrahl
40

I wish you the best but I have been down that road. I have a letter Chrysler wrote to better business bureau that states my engine consuming 1 quart every 750-1000 miles is an INDUSTRY standard. Better business wouldnt do a thing about it and Chrysler told my dealership there is nothing wrong with the oil consumption. I always appreciate the suggestions people have with mechanically how to fix this issue but when you take it to the dealership and they say there nothing wrong there isnt anything you can do. Because if you take it to a mechanic they will void the engine warranty. We would go to valvoline to get our oil changed and they would tell us we were low. Take it to Chrysler and they would not believe the oil place, do another oil change, have the same issue and Chrysler would tell us nothing is wrong. Sad part is my dealer at one point admitted they wouldnt buy back a car with the issues we have. Chrysler is a TERRIBLE company who doesnt stand by their product. But what do you do?

Chazabull
50

I think I posted before but will advise again. Our '08 was doing the same thing. Our dealer got Chrysler to pay for doing a ring job (means dropping the engine). That solved the problem no more oil consumption.

jrahl
40

I think its awesome you have a dealer that did that for you but our dealer wouldnt, wont and says they cant because Chrysler said there is nothing to do about it. According to Chrysler 1 quart of oil consumption for every 1000 miles is industry standard.

You think this is helpful.
FamilyGuy2014
0

I had a 2005 T&C with a 3.8 and found that if I go to a heavier (10w40) oil it lessened the amount it burned. I also found oil in the intake and it was coming from the PCV valve which I then replaced. That does not stop it from burning oil but will lessen it.

bassdaddy63
0

It is the PVC valve. Common for 3.8 PVC to plug up and PVC hose to collapse. Replace with dealer OEM valve and hose.. Some aftermarket PVC valves for some reason don't work as well. If you use synthetic oil (I have used it in my 08 Caravan since new) it will burn cleaner than petroleum oil and not smoke as much, thus hiding the symptoms. my wife ran our Caravan down to 1 qt. and the synthetic Mobil 1 saved it-no harm done.

Shanman1973
0

I had the same issue on my 2008 with the 3.8 l engine. After doing an oil consumption test for 20.000 KMs it was diagnosed that the there was an issue with how the rings are seated in the cylinders. Apparently my dealership had already changed out the bottom end in 5 jeeps with the 3.8 l motor for same issue. I was going through a minimum of 3 litres of oil in 5000 km. We did the PCV valve change and all the tubing to boot. Chrysler knows about the issue and don't want to admit they screwed up on a shipment of engines.

25thAnn
0

I have a 2009 T & C touring 25th anniversary with 3.8 liter , 40k miles (bought it with 25k miles) and was always adding oil . I have it serviced at 3k miles and the first episode I though I put 2k or so, it was 1 quart low. But when I checked the odometer my wife put only 500 miles since oil change. I feel like I have a 1970's clunker that I used to put a quart of oil every gas tank fill up. I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze with 99k miles in 3 years and never add oil in between 3k oil changes. I like the T & C but I can,t believe I have to explain to my wife why I have add a quart of oil every 500 mile (every 2 weeks) for a Van I paid 30k $ for. Chrysler should step up to plate. I can't believe how many other owners have same issues. If Chrysler says a quart is normal for 500 to 1000 miles then this will be my last Chrysler Junk.

jrahl
40

Good luck getting Chrysler to do anything. I would never buy another and would never recommend it. Its sad when companies dont stand behind their product. Heck if you try to get Better Business Bureau to help they will only mediate with Chrysler but they wont get involved. I went so far to open a case with Better Business Bureau regarding my issue with Chrysler which as a result Chrysler sent me a letter stating that my oil "consumption" was "industry standard" when I stated my van had no oil in it after 2500 miles and Better Business Bureau simply forwarded me the letter and said the case was closed because Chrysler said it was industry standard. Very disappointed in both BBB and Chrysler. There is no way BBB can look at the situation and not think something is rotten.

Ricardo Castro
0

I hate my Dodge Grand Caravan 2010 I will never get another Chrysler or dodge minivan this is my last vehicle from them oil consumption is not normal. R. Castro

G8rfan
0

This has been a problem for our '06 Grand Caravan for a while (no leaks, no smoke), but what happened today was crazy. My wife was driving to work and the temp gage suddenly shot up and the car started dinging. I got there and checked the oil. It was bone dry. We had an oil change just two months ago! No oil light came on. This is a dangerous problem. I'll try some of the suggestions here, but it's time for a new car anyway... and it won't be a Dodge.

valveseals
20

Got a 2007 T/C. Looses about three and a half quarts of oil between oil changes which begs the question why go for a oil change at all, it's allways fresh. I bought a life time bumper to bumper insurance policy on this van when I bought it new, I'm retired and have all the time in the world to bring it back to Chrysler each time. So far they changed a piston a head, a catalytic converter, two EGR valves, two powered steering pumps, alternator, cvr boot and as we speak its back,in the shop again. Hey Chrysler I've got the time if you've got the dime. I think the only car maker that offers a life time bumper to bumper is Nissan, why anybody would not buy this is beyond me. That'll be my next purchase. Chrysler your engines suck. And by the way for all you people experiencing oil consumption, ITS YOUR VALVE SEALS in about 75% of the time.

TwinsJB
0

2004 Chrysler T&C 3.8... 105,000 miles. Have to add a quart every 1000. Mechanic said I have a back cylinder burning oil. Is it worth the cost vs. blue book value to have a ring job done??? In my wallet - no! Cheaper to invest in quarts of oil, say, +/- 5 bucks every 2 months. Next time in for a repair will have pcv valve checked and consider changing to heavier oil to see if it helps... tho highly doubt it.

FLLC
10

I have Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L with 100Kmiles. I use PetroCanada semi sinthetic 10W40 for the last 70Kmiles of using my van. Oil change interval is 10Kmiles ( 90% of my miles are highway). Keep speed 60- 75m/hr. Oil consumption is 2.5 liters between oil changes.

Smooch
0

I have a 2008 Dodge Caravan that started using oil at about 50,000. Uses a quart every 1000 miles.Not smoking , no oil on garage floor or anywhere I can find it would be losing it. Where is it going? Doing consumption test now with dealer. They say a quart every 750 miles is normal....maybe in a Dodge but not in GM cars I have had, they didn't use oil at all.

sialkot
10

Thanks God i am not alone with this oil consumption problem. I have 2010 T&C and got in this problem last summer in 2014. first there was a leak but not on the ground, only at the engine. Got head gasket replaced in sep 2014. But now again there is a low oil warning. I guess we all should file a lawsuit against Chrysler then they will work on the engine to make it safe and non oil consumption.

Jim McNulty
10

I've got a 2005 3.8, too. Always a mystery why it used so much oil. So after reading all this, I guess it's the valve seals. Are the new engines better?

Mark Morris
0

My oil light came on before the 3000 mile oil change. I was down 3 1/2 Qrts. It burned that in the winter due to cold weather I suspect. Just did a test for 1000 miles to see consumption and was about 3/4 of a qrt. low.Maybe we can just change filters as new oil is constantly being added. The Chrysler corp better get it together or fiat or whoever wants to have a job in the future! I understand what they are telling me keep adding oil. NOT EXCEPTABLE

WaltStorrs44
0

I interpret their advice as being to buy a different product.

Jugger0418
0

This thread is 3 years old, but still very informative. Same here. 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. 97K miles and I go through 2 quarts of oil between changes. No spots on garage floor or drive...using synthetic 5/20. Is that too thin? Should I go back to conventional or will that mess things up?

jrahl
40

Doesn't matter what you use. In my case with the Town and Country its empty at about 3000 miles with no burn or leak. Dealership won't fix it because Chrysler says its not an issue.

SVCOD
5

Seems to me that there are a lot of people with this same issue. My 3.8 has consumed oil since the start(about 1 Qt per oil change). This issue tells me that this engine is low in quality. I've never had this issue with any other manufacturers. Chrysler has a problem and they need to be held responsible to fix their oil consumption issue.

jrahl
40

How? I wrote Better Business Bureau (BBB) and they said because Chrysler says its a "standard" then its not an issue. That I think was more disappointing than the actual issue. BBB knows that its a ridiculous statement to make yet they totally backed down on it.

WaltStorrs44
0

I tried 10w - 40 in my T & C and it made only a little difference in consumption.

slinkycat
0

2008 Grand Caravan SXT with 3.8 engine.....at 70,000 it started using a bit of oil. Now at 82,000 miles it is going through 2 to 2.5 quarts between oil changes. Oil is ALWAYS changed at 3000 miles even though the "change oil" display comes on at 2400 to 2600 miles. Changed PCV valve.....ran "Sea Foam" in engine....no difference. Now check engine light is on and catalytic converter code and EGR code pops up when I scan computer. Ran a bottle of CATACLEAN through gas tank ($25!!) and catalytic converter code is GONE. I was quite impressed. Bought new EGR valve at dealer and that code is now also gone. Bought stainless steel y pipe on e bay to replace plastic junk on coolant hose. Getting tired of fixing what Chrysler wont. Still consuming oil anyway.......decided to give up on the specified 5w20 oil and go with 5w30....we shall see if this helps. EPA squeezes automaker with CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) and automaker squeezes consumer by sticking him with a piece of junk. All under the good intentions....(?)......of saving the planet but guess where all this oil is going?......out the tailpipe and into the air anyway........real fricken nice.