Have the 2008 Eddie Bauer Explorers had transmission problems

Speedy82
0

Asked by Speedy82 Nov 04, 2012 at 06:23 PM about the 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

We bought ours 3 1/2 yrs ago & are having to replace the transmission at a whopping $4000. It has just under
72,000 so is not in warranty.

gustang
565

What is your question? If your question is why did your transmission go bad so soon. I would ask, did you do a transmission service at the recommended mileage?

Tim Ankenbrandt
35

talk to the dealer ask them about a p07 warranty for your car thats the 75,000 mile warranty and should cost you about 500 dollars

OJ
3,760

I've owned four explorers beginning with 1996. the 96 and 99 had the tranny's rebuilt (torque converter at about 80G miles. Fortunately a guy I went to H.S. with in the mid 60's ownes his own tranny shop. Here are a few things he told me. 1.) In over 40 years of working on tranny's he's never seen one completely torn up inside to require a 4G rebuild unless the car is a dragster on the local strip.. In my case the torgue converter went out on one and a band broke on the other. Charge was under 800 for each. 2.) Forget about the owners manual, expecially where the 90K service is recommended. Take the car in and have the fluid and filter changed at 40K. The 100 buck charge is cheap. 3.) Stay from national tranny shops like Cottman and Aamco. There are to many secretaries, office personnel, and other support personnel. Besides, advertisement on the tube is very expensive. Take it to an independant shop and save some cash.

gustang
565

Hi OJ. I couldn't agree with you more. I had a 1996 Explorer Limited. The tranny fluid & filter were replaced every 50K. I put on 110,000 miles with no tranny problems.

OJ
3,760

Yep Gustang, I learned my lesson with recommended fluid changes according to the ownbers manual. After the 96 was rebuilt with 80K I handed it down to my son. He drove it until 2010 racking up the odometer to 160K with fluid changes every forty K. Now my nephew has the car and drives it everyday about 80 miles round trip. Still ticking along great with over 220K and no further tranny problems. My daughter has a 99 I purchased for her new. With over 195K on it she still refuses to get rid of it because of the price of new cars and it runs great. Of course since I can do mechanic work in my garage I've had to rebuild the entire front end, replace a/c compressor - a month ago for the first time, power steering pumps and alternators. Since the labor is free and she only pays for parts I guess it's hard for her to get off the buck for something newer. Those older model explorers do last. I purchased my last in 2003. They have now become become a sokker-mom vehicle, Ruined the vehicle.