Changing a Transmission

Bryen Yim
45

Asked by Bryen Aug 16, 2008 at 06:41 PM about the 2008 Infiniti G37 Journey

I was wondering if anybody has an idea of how much it would cost to change a 5-speed auto transmission for the
7-speed auto tranmission coming for the 2009 model. I really don't have any experience in working with cars and
prices of components. Any help and estimates would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Bryen

Chris Roussy
0

It would cost quite alot. They are two different transmission types so you'd probably have to do more work to other components of your car to make it go to the 7 speed in the up coming G37... I work for Infiniti, i'm not a mechanic but I do know they are a pain to work on and it would probably be better to trade in your g37 for the upcoming 2009 model. Also in spring there is supposed to be the G37 hard top convertible.

Michael Alves
85

Not only would they have to change the transmission and everything attached to it but they would have to rework the engine and change quite a few other things. With parts and labor you might as well buy a new car. I know changing transmissions on older cars cost quite a few pretty pennies. I cant even imagine how much it would cost on a brand new car. You should e-mail a bunch of infiniti dealers and see if any will give you a ballpark figure.

Bryen Yim
45

Ahh I see. Thanks for the help.