corvette c6 MAJOR MESSING WITH

Brian Highkin
5

Asked by Brian May 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

In theory, what would I have to to change to redo these specific aspects of the corvette c6?

1. remove the engine, cooling system, and all that crap from the front of the car and place it in the back. this would allow me to run the exhaust and muffler through the tail light holes in the back of the car. the short exhaust from the rear engine would allow exhaust flames to constantly light the back of the car, making tail lights useless.

2. modify the torque curve so that there is the maximum ammount of manageable low end torque for takeoff.

3. fully replace the suspension front and rear with multilink suspension, and giving the car multiple suspension settings for street and track driving

4. put active roof scoops for engine cooling

REMEMBER! I DON'T OWN A C6! THIS IS JUST IN THEORY AND I WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSSSSIBLE.

Daniel Reed
1,575

Basically impossible. What would you do with the rear-mounted trans? Would you make NEW hydro-formed chassis rails? Also, the current set-up is what gives the Vette's good (if you want to push it so far as to call it good) handling characteristics.

Brian Highkin
5

I figured it would be somewhat undoable, but not completeley impossible. my idea was to put more weight over the rear wheels to give it more of a porsche 911 kind of weight distribution, therfore making the handling more like the 911, greatly improving it. i figured that it probably would be semi-possible if i had an unlimited budget.

Sean Butt
320

Let me start by saying yes anything is possible with money. You would have to build a tube chassis car with corvette panels to make it look like a vette. Could you build it as it sits.....no most likely not.

Jason McGowan
45

You've got to ask yourself one question: WHY??? The Z06 can start off in 5th gear from a dead stop, why are you worried about low end torque? Besides, torque is for tow trucks. The standard C6 is no slug either. The car will handle better than you can imagine anyway and I would go so far as to say the 911 doesn't handle any better and on most tracks would get it's a$$ handed to it anyway.

Joseph Houston
15

i agree with the other guy that anything is possible with money i know a guy that had a 350 camaro engine stuck in his 96 malibu, and the new 911 gt2 beats the vette on the 1/4 mile by 2 thenths of a second according to motortrend just so you know

Dave Fox
35

the problem I foresee you running into in attempting this in reality is a major space constriction there plain old isnt enough room to put the engine in the rear of the car you would need to move the seats forward. As for the 911 being faster in the 1/4 thats probably because the engine is over the rear wheels making the tires plant on the launch. two cars of Equal power outputs and different chassis setups the car that gets more traction in the first 60ft will win with that being said winning in a straight line is child's play compared to winning autocross. And for the handling aspect I believe a front engine car of the same weight will beat a rear engine car. In a maximum cornering force situation a front engine rwd car is going to over steer meaning the backend will start to slide and when this does happen releasing the throttle slightly will most likely put the rearend back in control. In the rear engine setup going into a maximum cornering situation the front end will most likely start to slide known as understeer meaning your trying to turn but the car wont turn as hard as you want it to. Now to regain control in that situation the car will need to actually decelerate or make a wider turn making your elapsed time through the turn longer than that of the front engine setup.