Check Engine Light

cascade08
0

Asked by cascade08 Dec 09, 2010 at 09:29 AM about the 2007 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 4WD

I recently purchased this truck used and the first week was great. The check engine light came on so I checked it with a code reader and it came back with an emission code. I reset it just to make sure it wasn't an errant code. Then 2 days later I start the truck and the check engine light comes on also with a "gascap" message in the odometer. I put a new gascap on and reset the odometer.....checked the code but it was a "cylinder 5 misfire" code. Reset code..... now this morning check engine light is back on along with the "gascap" message in the odometer. Has anyone seen this before? I appreciate any help.

Doran Harney
925

These might sound stupid, but they're the first things to check. 1. Double-check that the auto parts store you went to gave you the right cap. Try calling another parts store and asking for their part number, as most places carry the same brand of gas caps (Stant). 2. Make sure that you are tightening the fuel cap sufficiently. Every gas cap that I've seen, to the best of my recollection, has a clutch of sorts that starts clicking after it hits a certain amount of turning resistance. Try continuing to turn it for several rotations after the cap begins to click. Then clear the code using your code reader, and see if the CEL reoccurs. Now that I'm thinking about it, what was the exact code number? "Evap. Emissions" can mean a lot of things, including a problem at the charcoal canister, fuel return line, vapor return line, the seal on the tank itself, and tank fill line. Admittedly, the gas cap is the most likely suspect with an evap. emissions code, but it could be any of the items i just mentioned.