2007 Dodge 1500 4x4 won't start.

rallen58
70

Asked by rallen58 Apr 06, 2010 at 07:58 PM about the 2007 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4WD

Drove to work this morning, when I went to the truck to go home, remote unlocked doors, inserted key and nothing, all instruments lights came one, radio, headlights, but it would not turn over starter, checked fuses tied to ignition, tried jump starting, nothing!  No click. Checked connections to starter, thery were tight. One strange thing, remote will no longer unlock doors, put a new battery in remote, still won't work, got spare key, still no start or unlock/lock doors.  

Justin Hesseltine
65

doesnt sound like a battery problem. so it is more than likely your starter. if there is enough room under the truck try tapping it with a hammer then try starting it again. had to do that to a ford out here in the desert. if it starts up look into a new starter

rallen58
70

What I found out, accidently and after hours trying to get it started. I put a new battery in key, then disconnected positive battery post for 10 minutes, hooked the battery back up, and the doors unlocked and it started. Go figure, my told me about disconnecting the battery, and I rubber gloved high voltage all day with the key in my pocket, I wonder if the high voltage scrambled the chip in the key, new battery and reboot so to speak! Any one got any explinations???

rallen58
70

My son told me to disconnect the positive battery post.

EliHeff62
30

Same thing happened to us. We disconnected the battery cables and touched them together. Then re-connected to battery. Used our second key and it started right up after trouble shooting for hours.

JP Silva
40

same thing happened to me exactly. I just went out and disconnected my battery for ten minutes and its been starting no problem.

Stew64d
60

I have had the same problem. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery always resets it and makes it work. This last time my wife had my truck as i was out of town and she had no clue so she had it taken to the dealer in town. They ran a diagnostic and found that the transmitter/receiver that is part of the security system for the trucks has a problem, and when it doesnt receive the signal properly from the key it activates the security system and will not alow the truck to start. That is also why your keys won't unlock the doors or do anything else. Bad part is they want $675 to replace the receiver and keys I guess. Think I'll just keep disconnecting the battery when it happens.

Heymho
0

Disconnecting the battery is the way to go. Keep a 1/2 inch wrench and a large screwdriver in the vehicle at all times.

ronkers
25

You can also disconnect the IOD fuse in the engine compartment fuse box for a few minutes then plug it back in. It is #11 and kind of a milky yellow fuse. The mechanic told me that the WIN module might need to be changed if it happens often. Not sure what a WIN module is or the cost.

medscan
0

Wow, Glad to see that I am not the only one with this issue. I found out that there is a static charge that build up on the key and when the key was placed in the ignition, it discharged. This confused the transponder in the key and the truck thinks that someone is trying to start it with the wrong key. ..... Disconnected the negative terminal for 30 seconds and it started right up.... Not even Dodge knows why this happens.