Problems after replacing spark plugs and wires. Did these guys know what they were doing to replace the plugs and wires?

EJones51
0

Asked by EJones51 Apr 03, 2012 at 08:50 PM about the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5L AWD

Had spark plugs and wires (& air filter) replaced for routine maintenance. Shop said they had to remove back of engine(?) to get to wires, then they "couldn't get good compression" and had valves checked at specialty shop. They said, 'no problem'. They kept my car for a week and put it back together saying all is well with no further explanation.  Now my check engine light stays on (until they reset it, then it comes back on after driving short distance.) They tell me the code says it's "misfiring" but that it's not, so they don't know why the light comes on.  Also, now my Cruise Control doesn't work (turns on but won't set).  Could the work they did on engine, plugs, etc have caused this?

James Warner
1,710

what they had to remove is called the plenum or upper intake to get access to the back bank of spark plugs, also this is where the spark plug wires run under. while its possible that this is the cause( the plug wires are very senistive to position on this engine) i would want to know what codes they are getting before i would condemn their work. i have seen several of these engines with higher miles(over 90k) that usually sey cylinders 1,3 and 5 misfires. codes are p0301,p0303,p0305. usually caused by the exhuast cam timing being off by a tooth. too many times ive seen even experienced mechanics just put the engine back in time and while the problems is gone for now it will return. in my experience this is caused by the hydrulic tensioner bleeding down and letting too much slack in the belt letting the closest cam to the tensioner(exhaust cam on back bank) to jump a tooth or 2. replacement of the tensioner assy is the best fix. of course without knowing the codes they are getting this is only a guess. if you can find out what codes there are it will help greatly