radiator fan problem

OJ
6,240

Asked by OJ Jan 15, 2014 at 04:34 PM about the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5L

Changed radiator for brother.  Testing system, noticed the rediator fan would not come on.  (About 40 degrees here)  Ran motor at idle for about thirty minutes and still nothing.  Checked for voltage at fan = 0.  Jumped from battery to fan and it works.  Fuse/relay inside box under hood seems good.  swapped with another fuse/relay of same type from fog lights.  300K miles on engine.  Any suggestions

OJ
6,240

Unknown if radiator fan worked prior to changing out radiator.

Ritz
30

Check manual to see what the cut on temp for fan is. May not come on until weather is warmer and it is needed to cool radiator. Stress test at high speed up hill may get engine warm enough for fan to cut in. Take care not to overheat if fan still does not work.

Best Answer
OJ
6,240

Thanks Ritz, that's what I did. Took it for a ten mile spin on the interstate. Returned home and was running. Doint a little search learned the temp of water must be between 195 and 200 degrees for it to come on. Sounds a little high, but it works, thanks.

01bigjon
1,015

It schould come on about 180 degrees most are marked 180 is about right .single wire on switch take it off it schould ground on metal fan come on right away if not check relay relays. Go bad all the time more than the switch every time the switch goes to 180 relays clicks on so it always on or off ac fan come on every time you turn on ac so ck that also ac relay. Car would overheat when ac on good luck 200 I think is a little hot most thermostat are 180 cooler

Marvyn Leonel Guamuche Yoc
0

the fan is runing all the time this is a hyundai santa fe 2006