2003 subaru outback overheating

Debbie1970
0

Asked by Debbie1970 Feb 17, 2013 at 04:00 PM about the 2003 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

changed thermostat still overheats whats wrong

judge_roy

you're getting good flow, because I've seen it to where all the fins off the water pump were corroded off and the thing went round and round and practically no flow came off of it. Just for funzies could grab the shaft and give it a little wiggle up and down round and round to see if it has enough play to warrant replacement

119,925

Subaru's are notorious at having headgasket issues, that might be your problem.

25,675

Does it overheat while driving or idling? If while idling it's an airflow problem. Possibly a blocked a/c condenser or radiator. Sometimes dirt, leaves, etc. can block the front of your radiator and restrict airflow. If your cooling fans are electric do they come on? If not, that could be the culprit. If it overheats while driving you could be low on coolant. Does your heater blow hot? If not you're probably low on coolant. Other causes are your cooling system needs a good cleaning to remove sludge and scale from the internal passages or, as Tom said, it may be a head gasket. A compression test and a cooling system pressure test will reveal a blown head gasket. HTH. -Jim

Dogbone
335

Dollar to a donut it's headgasket failure.

Jeff Smith
1,485

How much mileage is on the Outback? It's likely the head gasket, but I've also seen radiators become somewhat clogged over time and contribute to overheating. Other head gasket clues include milky oil and coolant that smells like exhaust when they mix. Additionally: If your car does overheat badly once, it can cause the antifreeze to crystallize in the coolant passages of your engine, causing it to overheat even worse all over again.

Kathii444
20

I had my subaru compression tested and it was fine..I just went through the same thing. Heads done last year, water pump and belt to....I even replaced the water pump and belt again but it's still running hot...Has good compression, no mixing of anti freeze in oil, no what smoke, heat works great, new therosate, etc,, If you fine out why it runs hot, let me know