How high should the RPM's run on this type of car?

ebeamer
25

Asked by ebeamer Mar 30, 2008 at 05:21 PM about the 1993 Acura Integra 2 Dr LS Hatchback

I just bought an Acrua Integra (1993) and the rpms run really high on it.  Is it normal in this model car to be going 60mph and it be at 3.5 rpm?

casper271
4,325

that sounds a little high to me, I wonder if you tach is having a issue.

27,025

Yes, does the engine SOUND ok? Or does it sound like it's going that fast? I had a Chrysler Sebring that the tach took a dump on, it read 7,000 rpms at idle.

Zach Riekkoff
45

Yea that sounds about right actually. Mine is a little under that rpm at 60mph, but I have a 2000 GSR.

Fred Myers
75

Mine's 3500 RPM at 70+ At 60 it's like 2800. 94 B18B1 LS

Joshua Elks
85

ive got the same model as you only a 95 i cruise at 60 in the 3.5-4 rpm range it might have to do with any modifications you might have done ive got intake, headers, and cat-back exhuast

Adam Blinderman
65

The only way to change the rpm at a certain speed is to change gear ratios. And by the sounds of the level of knowlage of his car i highly doubt he was putting some lower gears in his car. An intake exhaust and a chip will have NO EFFECT WHAT SO EVER on engine rpm at speed.

Ryan Dingle
65

Should be closer to 3k rpm assuming your car is an ls/gs or rs model. If it is a gs-r then 3.5k sounds about right. Either way, there is nothing to be concerned with, Honda generally gears it's cars with relatively high final drives to keep the engine in a range where power is developed

Michael Rau
185

could have been replaced with a gs-r tranny or a jdm ys1 tranny

Michael Konopka
145

the only way that would be right is if ur tranny was swapped with the gsr or type r. ls final drives are geared more for highway driving (if thats acuras sorry excuse for an overdrive gear). ls should be at around 3.5k at around 80mph. 60 mph should be a little under 3k.

Brent Naegele
75

My 96 gsr in 5th gear goin 60mph is at like 3.1 rpm's these cars are made to wind, its what there known for

Jeremiah Vaichus
35

if its all stock then 60 mph @ 3500 is where it should be

Chris Mirabito
15

huh. thats weird. because using the gear ratios, he should only be around 2700 rpm i believe. as stated a couple of posts up, his final drive would have to be different than stock, as in it is somewhere around 4.069 instead of 4.266. But I dont forsee a major problem.

Jeremiah Vaichus
35

well it depends if since its a single over head cam engine over a dual.... sohc redlines at seven whereas gsr dohc hit red at 8....i know my gsr @3500 runs about 80 mph : )

Chris Mirabito
15

I think my friends ls runs around 4k at 80. but thats just from my perspective in the passenger seat and I could be wrong. I dont even have an integra, lol, just trying to help people out. But redline shouldnt matter, should it?. I used the gear ratios from the 90-93 integra ls transmission and at 60 mph using 4.266 i think the rpm should be around 2700. Of course im assuming 5th gear, original transmission, disregarding many other factors, etc etc. But the real question is does it matter? It can take it. its only 3.5k. jeesh. Plus "90-93 LS and GSRs had the YS1 tranny" but different ratios. Quoted from clubintegra.com. also quoted from that site is that 2nd gen integra ls/gs/rs all are 1.8 DOHC Using the same 2nd gen stats on a GSR, the GSR has a higher final drive ratio, as well as higher all other gears. That would mean that you would be at a lower rpm at the exact same 60 mph. That would explain why you are at 3.5k going 80 mph. Correct me if im wrong

Jeremiah Vaichus
35

yea you're right it shouldn't really matter seeing that you're in 5th and not even going past 4000 ....the only reason ppl worry about that is because their block could be lacking compression, thus lacking power.....but its whatever....i don't even pay attention to mph vs rpm....i'm just whatever....lata man....and yea you're right about your last paragraph

Josh Wendler
155

that sounds about right for an automatic my friends ran at that in 4th gear his was a 92 i believe and had the LS motor. but the manual will run lower in 5th. but you sound about right because personally i think honda's run high rpms in cruising gears. atleast i think its high my 97 trans am runs 1600 to 1800 in 6th so its high to me but it sounds right for a LS.

Colton Smoot
25

it sounds a little high but the 2nd gen ls trannys generally run slightly higher than the 3rd gen does

Logan Saunders
1,310

CORRECTION!..Joshua is RIGHT!...YOU ARE WRONG!!!! It does have an effect and I'll explain why. The addition of an air intake system, free flow exhaust and computer upgrade equals an increase in horsepower. That 140 HP LS engine would then produce, (moderate estimate) an additional 8-10 horsepower. Keeping that increase in mind, and the mass of the car unchanged, it's now being propelled by 8-10 additional horses. If ANYTHING, the rpms would DROP because the pound per HP ratio is more HP per pound. Car weight was unchanged BUT engine increased in horsepower marginally. Granted, with 10 HPgain, it should only be a marginal decrease in RPM's though. Thats basic physics.

A Facebook user
5

yes thats about right... there geared that way...

Johnny_schine
25

i believe logan, dosent understand how the mechanics of an automobile work exactly , but if i may: just because there is more horsepower does not mean that there need be less rotational force on the transmission, to procure the same speed, it just means that you will will reach the Same rpm and the SAME MPH with less effort/stress on the little engine. do we all understand what i am getting at? i mean you cant make the rpm's drop and speed increase , but that is what you are saying. right

13_sec_gts
35

That sounds high. My b18b runs 27- 2800 rpms. My buddies da runs about the same with a cai, header, exhaust, p&p and 3 layer metal head gasket

CokeSlap
0

Old post is old but if you still have the car I am willing to beat that it is the b17a engine with the short geared ys1 tranny. I have a 92 Acura Integra GS-R and that is right around where my rpms are when I am at 60. I believe I am just shy of 4k at 70-75mph (Don't remember and have slightly larger tires than stock.) Long story short, if it is a b17 with the gs-r tranny don't worry about it and hold on to that sucker, they are quite rare.

DRon671
0

Agree with CokeSlap. If it's a GSR 1.7 the transmission gearing is a close ratio. You will see higher RPM than that of an LS model at that mph