Does the Oil grade effects the sound of the valves?

zouroub
0

Asked by zouroub Mar 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM about the 2006 Honda Accord LX

I have an 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 Engine, i am hearing the valves sound so loud on idle and when driving, i have put 10w40 Castrol Magnetic in the engine.
Will the sound gets lower if i put 5w20 oil type in the engine?
Thanks

judge_roy

Yes. yes it does, depends on your keen sense of hearing. Personally would stick to what is specified on the engine cowl. think it's 10W-30 or 5W-30...but if you'd like to experiment, help yourself hoss, it's your engine-

1,775

i have an 07 accord and i notice my engine becomes a little noisier before my oil change light comes on... and i use 5w30 in mine

45,675

"Will the sound gets lower if i put 5w20 oil type in the engine?" -- No. Thinner oil will make it louder. Thicker oil will absorb the noise. Thicker oil will also slow down the rate of oil burning and leaking.

14,185

I'm with bob on this one, 10W40 seems too heavy for this type of car, stick with the recommended oil weight. Also might check your book to see of your engine has solid or hydraulic valve tappets. If it has solids might be time for an adjustment.