When I turn the key, I get power to lights, radio, and air but the car will not start. No other sounds present to indicate, fuel pump has engaged. No clicking indicating a problem with starter or alternator.

kkey
140

Asked by Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM about the 1996 Acura TL 3.2

topgun2
60

try tapping the starter as sone turns the key may be dead spot ond the com or pre engement solinoid make sure its in nutral phil

kkey
140

ok I will try that! I saw some of the other posts here, that mention the horn/stop fuse. Could that also be causing my problem?

77,655

No clicking means that the starter motor solenoid is not seeing voltage when the key is turned. It could be a bad ignition switch or transmission safety switch. Check the fuses.

Best Answer
topgun2
60

is it auto or manual if auto hold key to start foot brake on and move gear selector about a bit in nuetral and then try again in park as suggest could be inhibitor switch fault if your on your own see if can fond the push in feed to starter solinoid conect test light to it and then try key again if light cames on starteror bad earth if not then wiring . you might be able to put a feed to solinoid but remember if it starts then nake sure in nuetral andnot standing in front of car then if starts you can get it to a garage brst of luck phil

topgun2
60

if manual do the same

kkey
140

Change a fuse and it worked. Thank you guys, very much!! kk

77,655

Glad you found the problem. Now the big question is why did the fuse blow?

shahin27
155

hey KKEY. i have the same problem. which fuse did u change?

darkoM
350

yess. Which fuse did you change?

darkoM
350

Yes, which fuse did you change? I got same problem.

darkoM
350

where's located the transmission safety switch?

Wesley Adkins
30

hello everyone. I had a problem similar to yours and after replacing starter/solenoid, ignition, starter relay and cables, I was so frustrated that I finally decided to tow it to the dealership. For some reason before i did I decided to check the ground cable also. The one from the battery to the block seemed ok and when I grabbed the short one from the block to the frame it was just hanging there loose. That's why it was an intermittent problem. Now all my door locks and alarm systems work great and it starts every time. So check the little stuff first. It pays to be patient

Liamaydenaj
35

My starter was bad in my 1999 Chrysler town and country 3.8l limited. So I put a new starter in and my van still will not start. But I have power going to the start. If I take a wire from the power source on the starter and touch it to the small metal peace inside the connector plug the starter will kick on. But if I reconnect the plug and try to turn the key it will not start up. If any one can try to help that would be very appreciated. Thank you. AJ

Demarie3
10

Why when you change a ignition starter key does the horn /stop fuse blow and then the car don't start ? We spent the whole day trying to figure it out now even the dealer knew the troubleshooting didn't know nobody knew but the answer center thank you very much!!!

vondfg
20

What fuse did you change can any one help

Friday Eddie Maclean
20

I have a problem.wit accura tl 3.2 1998.when ever am driving my speed wil not pik beyond 40 pls tell me d problem I hav spend money.and.there is always sund when ever I put on revice.pls kindly teel me wht to do.

Guadino
5

Peak at 40 mph problem... Check your timing / distributer cap.

relly123
0

So I have an 08 Chrysler town and country I have power when I turn the key to an on position radio and lights come on just fine but when I try and turn the key to start it's making a click sound very low milienge on the car can anyone help

relly123
0

JN12345
30

Which fuse did you change?