Performance air intake

Asked by EO2K Oct 18, 2007 at 12:14 PM about the 2007 Honda Civic Coupe Si

On a 2006 Civic Si, what works better - aftermarket air intakes with larger pipes or smaller, coated pikes? Or does the factory intake provide the most performance?   

I would suggest using an aftermarket air intake with larger pipes. The more air you get into the engine, the better. Hence the concept behind the old "through-the-hood blowers" on classic muscle cars.

Justin Fischer

Definitely aftermarket.. They're made for performance and specifically designed for the maximum airflow... If you go for it I would suggest a dryflow cold air intake from AEM they work well and theirs no oil involved..

Lior Hamo

hi evrybody ,i am lior,and from my experience an inbox filter with some kind of hose,tube that go's down to the bumper is the best for hond's.

Keith Culver

Honestly dude what i would do with urs is go on ebay and get the cheaper intake with the smaller one. And the once u get it buy an injen or AEM filter for it. That is what i have on my honda and it does the trick and sounds real good when u floor the car. I mean if u want to pay the 200 to 300 dollars for the named brand u can but the pipes are all the same but just with a sticker on it. I dont really like the big intakes i think that the smaller ones will do just fine..

Justin Fischer

well that would all depend on what you're going for the short intake will do you fine ram air gives you about a 5-8 hp gain and will do great the longer one are a bit better cold air gives you around 9-11 hp though the name brand actually does make a bit of a difference in this instance because an AEM gives you about 15 hp meaning that if you really want to race or beef up the car.. go for a longer cold air intake and actually get some worthwhile power.. if you want a replacement just go for the ram air with a performance filter.. just dont forget to CLEAN AND OIL it once in awhile... P.S. the long ass things that go to the bumper work but watch out because they flood way easy and if you do get water up there you have to dry it out which involves turning the car upside down among other things which isnt cheap... ive seen it happen and that was just from driving through a puddle too fast and once just going through a touchless car wash

Chris Kimsey

Depending on where you live I would suggest an aem intake because they a CARB legal. This means that if one day you were to get pulled over and asked to pop your hood you would be fine because it would have a CARB sticker on it If you do not live in california then i suggest an Injen or Fujita brand as they sound the best and will give the most performance. As far as what type a short ram will give you the best bang for your buck. many people think that a cold air intake is the best but due to the long distance the air has to travel to the engine the power gains of the denser air is negated. One other benefit of a intake is better throttle response and better gas millage also you will be able to hear that joyous sound of the v-tech kicking in much loader which any Honda lover will know is wonderful.

Fred McClelland

he is right cold air intakes are a waste of money all you have to do is buy a cone filter (k&n) and get someone to bend you same pipe it will only cost prob 150 at the most depending how crazy you want the pipe as appose to 250. Thats what my friends do anyways. a pipe is a pipe

Ryan Parrott

Pros: Better MPG, Bhp gains of 5-12hp,and different engine note. Cons: A bit loud for some drivers.(some ppl are going for the extra engine sound) To get real results u have to buy name brand. It has been tested for real Hp gains. Building your own is a waste of money if you haven't done it before or know experts...

Adam Pulliam

I've been thinking about it too, but does it void anything from manu?

Fred McClelland

no why would it? the only way it would is if it damages to motor or anything else its pretty much the same thing it already has under the hood minus the big plastic casing

Joshua Elks

aftermarket intakes and dont listen to the people who say buy it from eBay eBay is a bad place to get performance parts for your car id recommend going with AEM, Injen, or Fujita all are respectable brands and will give you a noticeable gain not a huge one, but a noticeable one they may be a little more costly, but you'll know where your money went and you'll be glad you paid that little extra