Car Alarrm goes off without apparent reason.

donrosni
80

Asked by donrosni Aug 16, 2012 at 06:10 PM about the 2007 Ford Escape XLT

For the last 3 weeks now, the car alarm on my 2007 Escape has been going off without any apparent reason. . AND .. ONLY in the morning in between the hours of 0900-100.  ?!?!  No other time of day.

Richard Hyzy
345

It sounds to me like there might be a car or truck exhaust that rumbles just enough to set off the vibration sensor on your alarm

Rebeka Guenigsman
65

Otherwise somebody might be playing with your SUV OR your alarm is a tad to sensitive.

donrosni
80

It appears to go off only Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat mornings. No vehicle nearby to set it off or any other visible interferring / triggering stimuli. This is a factory installed, not an after market. I reset the computer by disconnecting and reconnecting the positive cable from the battery this weekend. I will wait and see if this solves the problem.

mpisfc
455

My car alarm had the exact problem; clean or replace the hood ajar sensor located right next to the windshield washer resevoir. I little rubber nub. I never even knew mine was there. I cleaned it and so far so good. You could also just purchase a new one, easy to replace with a 10mm socket. I've replaced a door latch, hatch latch and rear hatch sensor and after almost $800 paid the repair shop, it appears I fixed it myself.

mpisfc
455

here's where the part is available: http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW5620-Door-Jamb-Relay/dp/B000C5BY9Y

Peter_D
35

I Will call service shop immediately and ask them to check/replace the hood ajar sensor. This is the second time in the shop for the problem. Very annoying to have the alarm go off in the night!

gfulmore
40

I was getting a "right rear door ajar" message, even when the door was not ajar. The sensor in the door latch needed to be replaced. Same thing was happening for the left read door. Also had that latch replaced. Total cost: $750. The alarm does not go off any more. We saw no pattern to the problem. Money seems to have fixed it. This is the first major expense we have had on the car that has about 120K miles. We drove it once through Mexico, all around Central American, then back: 14,000 miles in five months. No problems.

heather3103
190

I have a 2005 Escape that has been doing the same thing around the same times each day. Thought it was the sprinklers at first, but now it happens 3-4 times a day. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Highlander58
165

What turned out to be the problem with this? I have a 2007 Escape doing the same thing.

Keith Chapman
40

2005 Escape lift gate ajar sensor causing same problem. Does anyone know where it is located?

Cindy Alston
10

I'm having the same problem with my 2005 Escape. I did have the test run at the dealership (thanks to my son) and found out that it's the sensor in the passenger rear door...the one least used. Something else that I've noticed is the problem seems to be more frequent when it's warm outside (above freezing)...the colder, the less annoying for me. Has anyone else noticed this? Sometimes it goes off while I'm moving, other times it goes off when I stop for a light. Until I can get the latch replaced, I carry a ratchet so I can disconnect the battery when it decides to be stubborn. When I ordered the latch, the person said that there have been 4 revisions but it still hasn't really helped.

Highlander58
165

Cindy, We are totally experiencing the same thing! I am a tech, so I have troubleshooting mine and have also determined it to be the rear passenger side door. The sensor is part of the latch and this door, even though I can hear it engaged will not unlock at times like the rest of them. It is also totally temperature related as the temperature rises through any part of the day or drops at night, it will go off! Hit the unlock a couple of times and lock on the remote will get rid of it, but it will beep a couple of times on the lock button, like a door isn't closed. Slam the door closed a couple times will correct it. I acquired a quote from the dealer on the assembly that we need, but it was way too much. Thank you for the information on the revisions that hasn't helped! You can get these OEM parts much cheaper online, then at the dealer and I have just been living with it until I've had the time to research it more. I will be doing so here soon because as it is getting warmer, it will be acting up more and more as it has done on some of the warm days we've had already. I am contacting Ford about this today!

Highlander58
165

Excuse me, slamming it closed will work, but also just a forceful push on the door will fix it too!

Joyce Davis
0

Mine doing the same thang I have a 2007ford escape

calston93
30

I don't have it installed yet, but I did go ahead and buy the latch. The only reason I did was due to son working for dealer and got his discount. :) Kids are good for something! With the transition from winter to spring weather, I've found that the alarm will go off while driving (not the horn, just the door ajar light, chime, and dome lights). Of course, being inside the car, I can't see if the parking lights are flashing, and I haven't been able to be close enough to another car to see any reflection. Escapes aren't the only model that do this. Guess it's anything that uses this same part or one very similar.

BensonTech
80

My 2005 Escape has been doing this for months. My wife drives it most of the time so I haven't had the displeasure of hearing it go off very often until I spent this last week at home. I've researched the issue and found how to determine which sensor is causing the issue without going to the dealer for diagnostics, ways to rewire the doors to bypass the sensor, how to replace the sensors, etc. I also came across a video of some guy with a sensor problem that caused his Ford to think it had doors ajar. His solution involved using compressed air to blow out the door latches and then shoot every latch with WD-40 or some other light weight lubricant. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try his method so I did all four doors, the lift gate latch, and the glass latch yesterday. It was a warm day today and temperature definitely triggers the issue on our rig. The alarm never went off today. Now, it's too early call this a victory, but it's looking really good because it has gone off every day for a week and typically two to three times per day.

maaadou
20

i had the same problem but what i did is to set the light in the car at the roof on the door position -(both the one the roof and in the back ) so when you open the doors the light goes on and when it closed - i goes off- - your the remote to luck doors - - this solved my problem---

adunic
40

maadaou. I think I understand your answer, but it's a little unclear near the end. Can you repeat it a little more clearly? It seems like too easy a solution.

maaadou
20

What i mean is to set the lights in the door position . So when u open the car - the light on the roof Turn on- and when u luck the dor it Turn off- And use only the remote key to luck the car - sorry for my bad english- i Will say it in french. " mettez. Les lumière se trouvant sur le toit du véhicule ainsi que celui sur le toit dans le coffre sur la position door. De manière a ce que , lorsque vous ouvrez les porte les lumière s'allume et lorsque vous les fermer elle s'éteint . Pour verrouiller les porte utilisez la télécommande en appuyant le botton luck une fois - et vous verrez que le tour est jouez. Bonne chance

adunic
40

Merci maaadou! :) Maintenant, c'est très clair. Je vais essayer ca.

adunic
40

Well it's been one day with no alarm. Yesterday I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer and also synchronized my dome lights to the "door" postition (the rear one was on "off") as maaadou suggested. I also made sure I alarmed with the FOB. Guess what? No alarm today... first time in 10 days. But then again it was also a colder day, (The alarm has been going off as the day gets warm). I shall keep you posted.

BensonTech
80

It's been just about four days since I lubricated all the latches on my Escape with WD-40 and we've had some temperature flux (40°F-72°F) in our area which normally would trigger the alarm. I'm happy to report that there hasn't been one instance of the problem since I worked on it. Now, with that being said, there is another possible hidden solution or second factor. I disconnected the battery for at least 10 minutes while I worked on the latches for safety purposes and to prevent any possibility of conduction in the electrical equipment. My dome lights were already set to DOOR as another member mentioned above so that wasn't part of my solution, but maybe it helped that it was already set like that. I think it's possible that having the battery disconnected for an extended period of time could serve to reset the sensors or the computer that monitors the sensors.

calston93
30

Unplugging the battery does nothing towards resetting sensors that I can prove. The sensors seem to be in the same state that they were when I unplugged the battery. The passenger rear door is the one that is causing me problems...the one least used. The alarm going off at all hours has forced me to keep the battery unplugged unless I'm running errands. I can be driving down the street and the dome lights and chime will go off, or it does it when I slow down to stop. The door ajar light seems to be on whenever the battery is plugged in and the car turned on. The only thing that I *am* sure about is the fact that this is a very frustrating problem and after 4 revisions, one would think Ford would've figured it out.

calston93
30

BensonTech, I've been dealing with this aggravation for well over a year. If it wasn't so hard for me to raise the hood every time I need to plug/unplug the battery, I wouldn't even bother replacing the latch.

adunic
40

Well, after one day of no alarm and no "door ajar" light, (I had lubricated and worked all latches thoroughly, reset the battery and dome lights). I am back to the alarm going off in warm weather and getting the door ajar lights on. So I took it to Ford and they disarmed the perimeter alarm (at a reasonable price). The door ajar lights are still coming on at the heat of the day (and by night they go back to normal) but at least the alarm doesn't go off. I guess the drawback is that alarm is now irrelevant in the event of a forced entry, but I can live with that. Because I took it to FORD with a reset computer they couldn't get a reading on which latch was "breaching" but I might take it down to them and talk them into giving me a free read on this (maybe after they do an OilLubeFilter) now that it's showing a breach everyday as it warms up. -

BensonTech
80

While lubricating the door latches on my Escape seemed to have fixed the problem, I'm sad to report that the alarm went off a couple of times in the last two days. That's a lot less frequent, but still disappointing. I'm going to give it one more shot with the lube and close the doors with some force half-a-dozen times to make sure nothing is sticking. When I initially lubed the doors, the rear passenger door signaled that it was ajar when it was closed. That went away after a couple of forceful (not slamming) closings on that door so I figured I had loosened up the mechanism for the sensor at that point. If this doesn't work then my next step is to take apart the the wiring harness in the doorjamb on the rear passenger door and shoot it with some contact cleaner and shoot the wiring for the sensor in that door as well.

Melanie Dobrinska
0

My 2006 ford escape just started doing this..

adunic
40

Hi Melanie. Is it doing it when the day warms up? Benson Tech. Since you know which latch it is, why not follow the advice I saw once on youtube, there is a guy that shows how to "jump" the sensor and trick it into thinking the door is closed even when it opens. Cost is $0.. You don't get a light coming on when that door is opened, but hey, that might not be such a big deal if it's not one of the front doors. https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=uV1r9wUy6_M

BensonTech
80

Disabling the alarm or sensor is the last resort for me. I've had some success with what I have tried so far. I also watched the video where the guy bypasses the sensor and that's an option I will consider if my other approach fails to provide lasting results. I've also come across instructions on how to disable the passive alarm system if it comes to that. This weekend I plan to do the contact cleaner. The alarm has been going off maybe once or twice every 3-4 days. We've had near 80 degree temps and lows in the 40's so there's been some temperature flux which seems to trigger it. The morning sun on that right rear passenger door is almost guaranteed to set off the alarm.

dejude
0

My '07 Mariner alarm horn and lights go off, more often mornin g usually more than once a day. Unlike other posts there is not any door open warning. Tested door alarms as suggested in earlier post by reaching through widow and opening, all worked. When car is running I position liftgate glass partially open and dash warns and when I close glass and open liftgate a little it does not warn.Also does not warn when hood not closed completely. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ftloj Reno
0

Just fixed my issue with the rear passenger door on my Escape. The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is to disable the sensor by unplugging it and jumping the wires. The guy in the video does it from the wires coming out the front of the door, but I couldn't figure out how to get it apart. I found it was easy enough to take the door liner out, unplug the sensor and jump from the black and white wire to the wire next to it. Wasn't sure which wire so I just tried each one until the door ajar light went out. It worked! Since I didn't know for sure which door was causing the problem, I did spend the $100 to get it scanned. For reason, from what I've been reading, the rear passenger door sensor is usually the one that goes bad.