MY 04 CORVETTE CONV. KEY WILL NOT TURN THE IGNITION.

DARNDT417
0

Asked by DARNDT417 Jun 07, 2012 at 08:49 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

I'VE CHECKED ALL THE MAJORS IN OWNERS MAN.  SECURITY SYS. FUNCTIONS, FUSES OUT, KEY. I HAVEA # OF VETTES AND HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED THIS.  ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?          DA

4,775

Ignition switch most likely went bad. make sure there are no obvious damages to the key

Hans Dietrich
365

Possibly related to this? http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0808_c5_corvette_steering_lock_repair/viewall.html

Denis Sagendorf
325

DOES THE KEY GO ALL THE WAY INTO THE IGNITION? DOES THE KEY GO IN FARTHER NOW THAN BEFORE? IF IT WON'T GO ALL THE WAY, YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING IN THE IGNITION. IF IT GOES IN FARTHER NOW, THE KEY IS NOT MATCHING UP WITH THE TUMBLERS IN THE IGNITION. LOOK FOR THE SIMPLEST, STUPIDEST THING. THAT'S USUALLY WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. AND GOOD KUCK.

trip65

try a very small amount of wd-40 .

Denis Sagendorf
325

TO TRIP 65; GOOD IDEA. SPRAY WD-40 INTO A HYPODERMIC NEEDLE USING THE NEEDLE TO SHOOT THE WD-40 IN THE IGNITION, THIS WILL GIVE YOU TOTAL CONTROL OF YOUR SPRAY

trip65

gee lets see ,maybe you can spray a little on the key and then insert the key into ignition. a needle ? really . i think you've been playing with too many needles already.

Denis Sagendorf
325

HONESTLY, NOT AT ALL. I USE THEM AS AN OIL CAN FOR SMAL THINGS OR TIGHT HOLES. BUT A NEEDLE CAN GET THE WD-40 TO ALL TUMBLERS. WHERE AS A KEY MIGHT NOT!!

450HPVETTE
75

The ignition lock actuator linkage located under the shifter boot may have something to do with the problem. I disconnected mine. Took 5 minutes and works fine without it.