Coolant Temperature Too High..??

kathy01
0

Asked by kathy01 Feb 09, 2010 at 10:25 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 2 Dr LS Coupe

i own a 2007 chevy cobalt ls coupe. in traffic, my car goes up to 220 degrees, even when im not moving, and once i start to drive, it goes down. if im not moving, the fan kicks on at 220 degrees. i dont think this is normal. i have taken it to the dealership. the first time, they said it had the wrong type of coolant in it, it was supposed to be red, but i dont think that matters. they charged me for it. next day, im driving in the city in traffic and all of a sudden it went up again to 220 degrees, so now it is the second time i take it to the dealership, i wonder what theyll say this time...is anyone having problems like this too with their chevy cobalt?

Mike Bonnell
5,635

I am pretty sure that is the correct temperature that the fan should go on - between 215-220 As you start to drive temp should go no lower than 195 as thats where the thermostat should close to keep temp at that temperature.

Mike Bonnell
5,635

Follow up : Actually Normal is much hotter on this vehicle "The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F). After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts . The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes. The PCM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions: ECT reaches 110°C (230°F)

stef811
50

same thing here. i got my cobalt 1 year ago. it hasn't reached 220 yet. just 217. if i sit at a red light it goes up. start to move and the temp goes down. any help from you would be great!!i hate to take it back to the dealer as i need a car for work.

Marco Ciccone
35

mine is the same nothing is rong with your cars its allways between 90c and 110 but my fan kicks in at 102c

califcarson
2,055

If your engine goes over 220 degrees you may have a problem with the fan relays. Does the high speed fan kick on or just the low one? I'd find a second dealer and not go to the one that said the wrong color coolant is in the motor and charges you for the change. Next they'll tell you your muffler bearing is worn out and needs replacement.

allishezer
10

I have a cobalt 2008 and I'm from Iraq, where the temperature reaches 110 only in the case of stop at the house out to the outside water please I want to reply please help me

califcarson
2,055

???????? I'm from So. California where the temp will reach 110 and above. Some places it is near 120 in the shade. We have learned to keep the vehicle coolant clean, flushed out, good fan belts and coolant filled with the proper antifreeze, not just water. We make sure the electric fans if equipped work, and the hoses are in good condition. So what is your question from Iraq? Just type in your question and hit, Post Your Answer"