What are the possible causes of gear shift and power transmission issues in an '06 Highlander?

sadhighlander
50

Asked by Oct 14, 2012 at 08:57 AM about the 2006 Toyota Highlander Base AWD

The major problem is that the gear does not shift from 1 to 2 for an abnormally long time and after much whining from the engine gets up to 3000rpm. In addition, when you depress the throttle sharply when in motion, rather than the normal lurch forward of the vehicle, the engine screams at you and no power is transferred to the vehicle - it is as though I were depressing the clutch and throttle at the same time in a manual transmission vehicle. I just had the transmission fluid changed when I noticed this first, with a Dexron IIID variant, but the problem persists. Any helpful suggestions out there for me?

Francis Lapointe
385

Since you had the tramnsmission fluid changed I'm guessing the oil level is OK. The transmission filter should have been changed when they replaced it. If not they failed big time! Could be clogged. If their was a lot of mesh in oil when they changed it, could be a worn clutch pack. In this case... it's BAD. If oil look good, it could be bad solenoid / bodyvalves, etc... In both case it might be expensive. I'm guessing you have over 120000 miles.

sadhighlander
50

Thanks Francis. The filter was not changed when the fluid was and yes, the car has over 120,000miles. I had the error code read P0746 and I was told that a solenoid SL1 was having problems. But the transmission fluid was really black and I have been told that there is every possibility that the fibres within the transmission are also gone and I have been asked to have the whole transmission system changed!!! Not a ride in the financial park, if you know what I mean. Another alternative being suggested to me is to have the solenodi replaced, but between not being able to secure a new solenoid and issues with competent personnel to carry out the change, I am still undecided on what to do. The ATF is supposed to have been T-IV, and someone thinks that changing just that might solve some of the problems... I wonder. Whatdo you think?

Kimberly Spence
20

I have a 2004 Toyota high lander and the rear middle part is leaking oil or gear oil what can it be and what kind of gear oil can I use to fix it

Shahzad Raza
10

Tha gear is shit one two and three parfct time but is there fourth gear not change every time is there change an time or any time not change.