stuck in park

gerb
0

Asked by gerb Dec 21, 2009 at 09:53 PM about the 2008 Dodge Avenger SE

My 08 avenger is stuck in park and will not shift out. It is parked on level ground. Any help is appreciated.

Lucky Fox
25

ANY Automatic transmission vehicle is equipped with an over-ride for that park/lock feature. Try using this feature to see if it allows you to move it out of park. If it DOES move out of park, the releasing gate is having issues. If it DOESN'T let go... You'd best take it to the shop for some repairs. ): This is NOT a particularly common problem for this model.

Nathan Weimer
15

The override (usually under a smallish cover on the console itself) should work but before that turn the steering wheel HARD to the locks in both directions... sometimes there is just a little stick going on (engine off first just with the ignition in "on")

Nathan Weimer
15

Also... with the cold weather... Start it... Set the heat on high and let it run...NOT inside, or open the door if inside. Then give it a try every hour

Dodgelover
0

I hope you recieved your recall information. My 08 Avenger did the same thing,(stuck in park) we had it fixed, then recieved a recall. I sent my receipt to Chyrsler and they sent me a check.