Replacement tires for the Run - flat tires

martha2007
0

Asked by martha2007 Jun 22, 2008 at 11:52 PM about the 2007 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

Hi there,
I bought a 2007 Sienna XLE AWD last July and currently have about 11,000 miles on them.  I do have the run - flat  tries that originally came with the car.  As it appears the tread on the tires are wearing down, do I need to replace  it with the run - flat tires or can I use ordinary  ( non - run -flat)tires that go with this model. I do understand that  the car is not built to carry a spare tire, hence the run - flat tires.  However the cost of replacing all 4 tires is outrageous if I have to do this almost every 1 - 1 1/2 years.  Is there someplace where I could get a good price if I have to use only the " run - flat tires"? Please advise.  Thanks  for your assistance.

Daniel Reed
1,445

You can check out www.tirerack.com for prices on tires. They're usually pretty good, but you will have to take them somewhere to be mounted, and that could cost a bit. You do need to stay with run-flats, bdcause if you do get a flat, you can drive with no air for 50 miles at about 55mph before it will shred. On the other hand, regular tires may be cheaper, but if you get a flat, say, on the highway, you will shred it in a heartbeat, you're out 1 more tire, and you have to pay for a tow truck. Since the originals wore out so soon, it was probably due to a lack of tire rotations, which should be done about every 5000 to 6000 miles, low tire pressures, or the vehicle is out of alignment, which is almost always true of new cars. Also, regular tires are not as stiff, so the ride and handling characteristics of the van will certainly change, mostly feeling softer, but with less steering response and cornering stability.

Justin Suprano
165

You don't 'have' to stick with run-flats. You can put regular tires on your van and have no problems at all, however like the person before me said, you won't have a spare. You can remedy this by just buying one. There are kits you can buy that will let you mount it inside the back of your van, some of them come with covers so that you don't have to look at an ugly tire all the time.

Scott Carroll
135

I would go to the dealer I heard that toyota is paying for the tires becouse they are wearing out so fast

dvdmkr
160

I have 2004 Sienna XLE AWD. Already got the check from Toyota 2 years ago regarding Tires. Anyhow, Only disadvantage having Non-RFT on AWD Sienna is that you have to carry a spare in the trunk? Did I get it right? If I want to switch from RFT to Non-RFT, Do I have to buy new rims as well? or is it ok to keep the current rims, and have non-rft mounted? <== This is my major concern. Thanks alot!

Toyota_1954
70

I have a 2006 Sienna XLE AWD. Run flat tires are going bad @ 40,000 miles. Thinking about replacing them w/ the same tires that are NOT "run flat" tires and joining Triple A so that I get a free tow in case of a flat. (I have not gotten a flat tire in YEARS!). I know that other non-AWD Siennas run on the "regular" tires, so I would assume that my AWD could do just as well on a tire that could last 60,000 miles or more. Has anyone else done this?

dakaroe2006
20

I am in the process of replacing my RFT's with regular tires on my 2006 AWD Sienna. I was told that my getting 46000 miles was quite rare. The average life of the Bridgestones is 20,000 miles. Also I was told by my Toyota dealer that a spare cannot be mounted underneath like the FWD Siennas. So I may look into mounting inside. The regular tires will work on the current wheels, so says the same dealer. 20,000 mile Bridgestone vs. 70,000 mile Michelin. No contest.

Robert Matheson
855

TO Answer your question, You can run Regular tires on the wheels you already have. no modification is necessary. Like everyone says, the AWD system takes up the required space to mount a spare under the vehicle. Go with the regular tires and buy a can of the tire fill goop and a small air compressor (a lot of Euro vehicles come with this instead of a spare) and you'll be fine. You just have to remember when using this tire 'sealant' goop ina can, you still need to take the tire in for a proper repair.

mistry62000
20

I just bought yokohamas avid for my LE AWD and bought a spare rim for 65 dollars from ascrap yard. It takes up a lot of space in back of the van. Did anyone find that the pressure had to be higher than 35psi or the low pressure indicator comes on? I hope they last as long as I hope.

rob5166
270

I have a 2005 Sienna XLE AWD. Just turned 50,000 miles. I have gone through 3 sets of RFT's. after the original set wore out at 15,000, Toyota replaced with another set of Dunlops. the second set wore out at about another 15,000. Again, Toyota Replaced with Brigestone RFT's. These made it to about the 20,000 mark. I refuse to spend money on these tires. Here is what I did. As this car is mostly used for short 5 or 10 miles runs with the occational long trip. I bought a refinished 17" x 6.5" wheel on ebay that matches my original set. Spent about $120. I then got (4) Michelin Harmony's 225, 60r, 17 tires from Tirerack.com. Spent about $116/tire. Great tire by the way. All reports say that they last about 50,000 miles. I had the installer throw one of the old run flats on the spare wheel. If we take a trip beyond 2 hours from home, I'll throw the spare in the trunk with some luggage on it. I may look into getting it mounted if it makes sense. Otherwise the spare will sit in my garage. Here is the deal with the RFT's, Not everyone sells them and not everyone even installs or removes them. Lets say you keep the RFT's on and your on a trip driving at 8:00PM on a Sunday night and you get a flat. You are supposedly ok to keep driving for about 50 miles. What good is that going to do you if you dont have a spare? Good luck finding a matching tire on a Sunday night in a remote area. I am surprised that Toyota has not addresssed this issue yet.

momofthree
30

Did you replace your RFT's with regular tires without having to buy new wheels? If so, what type of regular tires did you buy? We own a 2006 Sienna AWD XLE and in the last 1.5 yrs had to replace 5 run flats! Our car currently sits at a toyota dealership until Monday when they open. I do not want to buy another run flat in my life! Costco across the street sells NRFT's and would love to just buy from them!

dbmissoula
90

I had new Michelin radials put on our 2004 Sienna to replace the harsh-riding, high rolling resistance, expensive and short-lived run-flats. They fit fine on the wheels that the RFTs were on. I bought one of those latex-filled inflator cans, a 12-v compressor, and a tire puncture repair kit in lieu of a spare but haven't had any need to use them yet. We're planning a trip about halfway down the Baja coast this summer and I'll buy a spare for that sort of trip. The only problem I ran into with the transition was getting a shop to put regular tires on in place of the RFTs. The third place I tried had no problem with it. Costco wouldn't do it, saying that it was a safety issue. They said it would be unsafe not have a spare. I noted that this should be my decision, not theirs, and pointed out that motorcyclists are always without spares and nobody seems to worry about it much.

Tracie
30

Are you still out there? I was wondering how your Michielin Harmony's worked out. I have a 2008 AWD and have gone around and around with Toyota. We are looking for a good non-run-flat for a replacement.

tirechomper
110

Hi: Add me to the list of disgruntled Toyota Sienna AWD owners. We purchased the 2005 AWD for the express purpose of being able to drive in bad road conditions, snow, mountains, etc. We have not really had the opportunity to do so, but even driving on our local roads and interstate highways seem to be an issue with these run flat tires. Our first set needed replacement in short order. I was given a lecture of how I should keep a close watch on the air pressure. For goodness sake, they have a monitor that NEVER lit up and I take the car to the dealership for all service...what more do they want from me. So the next set and the ones that I will be replacing next week are the Dunlop and I seem to be getting less than 20,000 miles to them. Each time I replace the tires it is between $800 to $1200. This should be illegal. If it isn't FRAUD then it is certainly misrepresentation to sell an ALL WHEEL DRIVE vehicle that can not even drive local roads without chewing up tires. Well I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in and also ask if any of you out there who have changed to the other tires are finding any success after a year or so of wear and tear. I really would like to know if it is just the tires or does the suspension have any effect on the wear and tear of the tires. They keep saying now that it is because it needs to be aligned more often. Then TOYOTA should have that in their book of recommendations. My car goes to the DEALER for service at "every" recommended point!!!! I am tired of the abuse by TOYOTA! If the car chews up tires like this then it was "poor design". Vehicles are required to give a realistic list of miles per gallon expected...then certainly there is an expectation of miles per tire replacement and 15,000 is unacceptable!

SK
30

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna 4 Dr AWD Limited. I have replaced the tires 3 times now and the mileage is still not 60K. They keep saying rotate periodically etc.. but inspite of doing all this I get uneven wear and tear on the van. Today I have decided to move to regular non-flat tires with a spare. Thanks everyone for the feedback here. Toyota still doesn't seem to address the quality issue of this van and tires. They even told me that the tires are warranteed by Dunlop and not Toyota. Little did I know that as a cunsumer i was buying a brand new car and not individually shopping for tires !!

Stephen DeNagy
50

The run flats are insane! I had a puncture on my Sienna van while on my way to Boise, and had to do a field repair with a rubber plug. Well, now the tire itself is done-for, as I ran it about 90 miles before repairing it, and another 80 or so afterwards. I guess that is the good news...I got a lot of use out of a dead tire. The bad news—in a city of over 200,000 people you'd think there would be someplace to buy one! No Way! I am stuck here at least 1 day, possibly more. So, the safety of the tire is you can run on it. The downside is that, if you run on it really at all, it will be unsafe to use and you will have to replace it! But wait! This is an AWD vehicle. That means it's not one tire to replace, but 4 TIRES! And, I have never gotten 20,000 on a tire. So, cost of owbership is at least $700 a year greater given the frequent tire replacements. And, you MUST rotate, the fore/aft wear is dramatically different, and that will stress the AWD system itself if the tires are grossly out of synch. I like the suggestions of using a spare for long rides, and using spray gunk for local mishaps.

wmichqb14
70

Mine is an 06 sienna XLE AWD. I had the same issue at about 20,000 miles, which seems to be the norm. I was highly disappointed that I was not made aware of the short life at the time of purchase. I guess I was just naive enough to believe that an overpriced and expensive vehicle would include a quality tire. We replaced with non runflats and now have 50,000 miles on the van with another good 20-30,000 on the current set of tires. the only issue that I have had is that I have to constantly fill the tires as my tire pressure warning light is continually coming on. I don't have a leak, have taken it to the shop several times, and the tire in question is always different. I don't know what the deal is, but it is definitely a pain. To anyone asking, follow the advice given above, avoid run flats, keep tire goup canister in car and buy a cheap spare from salvage yard for long trips. Anyone considering buying an AWD vehicle with runflats and no spare, RUN THE OTHER WAY!

ssslll0101
40

My wife drives 2006 Sienna XLE AWD. She had exact similar issues on the run-flat tires. After reading all the commnts, I plan to replace them with the regular tires and buy a spare rim. But I could not find a jack in the car - does anyone know if the car should come with a jack (and the tools to replace the wheel in case of the flat tire)? Thanks.

wmichqb14
70

you'll have to purchase the jack and tools along with the tire. Salvage yard should have everything you need including a spare tire for $50

ssslll0101
40

Anyone has any experience on "mixed installation"- 2 run-flat and 2 regular tire on the car(2006 Toyota Siena XLE AWD)? I have 2 run-flat tire that are really worn out while the other 2 still ok (maybe due to lack of proper rotation). People at tirerack says "mixed installation" could cause problem since the rubber types are different. I know it's not recommended to get the best performance- but for just regular driving I have done it with my Lexus with no problem. Any advice is appreciated.

sky2blue
10

I have 2004 Sienna XLE AWD, and, after being stranded THREE TIMES because of my crappy RFTs, I am replacing them with conventional tires. I love my van; the vehicle itself has been trouble-free, but making the RFTs standard was a huge mistake by Toyota. Frankly, I feel like this is a class-action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

triciamae
30

Bought the Sienna AWD van in 2004. Took it to Alaska. Bought Blizzak run flats for the snow and they were wonderful. Very pricey, but lasted longer than the regular ones. The day we were to head out of Alaska, we got a flat. There was no place in the whole state that carried the right size fun-flat tires. We bought regular Cooper tires, got an extra rim that fit, put one of the run-flats on it as a spare and haven't gone back to run flats since. The regular tires still wear unevenly and I also have a problem with the tires getting low sooner they should. Getting ready to replace them and will stay with the regular tires based on all the feed back. Thanks for the advice on the getting the "goop" and an air compressor.

kstinw19
0

I am glad that I am not the only frustrated customer. Took my LEASED 2010 Sienna XL AWD in on Saturday for a checkup (thought the brakes were worn) and they told me that it needed an alignment and 2 new RFT's in front. The car only has 24,000 miles on it! I told them that I thought that since the car is leased and only has 24,000 miles on it that those tires should be covered by Toyota but they refused. So I didn't get the tires. They may have been worn down due to the fact that I haven't had the tires rotated? The reason I haven't done that is because I go to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes and they said that due to the special bolts Toyota uses, they will not longer rotate Toyota tires for fear of breaking the bolts. Are you kidding me? Toyota wanted $193/ea. for the two tires. Does this sound wrong to you? This is my second leased Sienna and I didn't have to do any maintenance or tire changing on my last one.

wmichqb14
70

$193 is a lot better than the $300 ea I was quoted. I have never leased so I do not know how that all works, I just know tires aren't covered under the standard warranty so I would have to assume they wouldn't be covered in a lease either???

Fedupwithrft
20

Maybe we should start one! Who has the money or time to be dealing with this rft issue? I, too am replacing mine with nrft. Thinking of somehow mounting the spare in a locked case on roof rack...????????

discslinger
15

The under side tether for the spare on our old Voyager rotted so we tied it to the roof rack. It was really easy spot in a parking lot. It did look alittle hillbilly though. Still better than $800 every 20k. We plan on doing this with no rft's for ou 04 Sienna in about 5k. Any suggestions on an all season for the same $800? it's gotta go farther.

cjs
20

I hear everyone's pain and I too finally threw in the towel on these nasty run-flat tires. I had all of the same problems, less than 20k 3 times already, harsh and noisy drive, etc... I just got some non-RFT 780-A-A rated Coopers (compared to the 360-B-A Dunlops) installed and momma mia... I almost cried the ride was smooth and quiet, I could actually hear the people in the rear talking...my dilemma now is getting a spare, but there are some good ideas in this thread and my brother (a mechanich as well) informed me that the Sienna and the Camry have the same tire lug nut pattern, which will help when I hit the local junk yards looking for a spare...

BobF72
0

I bought a 2008 Sienna AWD and 2 tires blew out within 20K miles. Toyota replaced 3 of them, but wouldn't replace the 4th. This last week, 2 more blow outs. Had to put a Cooper non run flat on just to get back to Tacoma. Believe me!!!!! Those run flats won't go 15 miles at 40 mph. They'll shread and ruin youir rim. I think there aught to be a class action suit against Dunlap and Toyota for putting those pieces of crap on such a fine car. I'm in litigation right now on this very matter. Four blow outs in 3 years, That's not right!!!!!! &it's dangerous..............Bob from Arizona

BobF72
0

I really got burned at the Toyota dealership last week. It cost me $312 and didn't even offer me any Vaseline. That was my 4th blow out in 3 years and they will not run 50 miles at 50 mph. It'll start to shread at 15 miles at 40 mph and ruin your rim.

bonezi
20

Can I just replace one rft with non-rft?

North_Idaho_Jim
70

I own a 2007 Sienna AWD. Have 30K on original Bridgestone RFT. One is starting to separate and noticeable wear only part way around the tire on the inside shoulder. I just replaced them with NRFT Yokahama TRZ at Discount Tire. What an improvement in the ride, noise ,etc. Now I have to address the issue of no spare tire. Does anyone know if you can run a smaller diameter "donut" spare on the Sienna AWD system for short distances (50 to 100 miles) without damaging the AWD system?

mred1976
15

the jack is right side rear of van.I have 2006 awd seinna w rftires And icame with jack

mred1976
15

jack is Rt.side rear of van.There are two knobs to turn to open compartment. I have 2006awd sienna and it came with jack

FloydM
40

I replaced my RFT's with 90,000 mile Michelin Hydroedge and looks like I'll get the full 90,000 miles out of them for 20% of the cost of RFT's. I bought a Toyota Alloy wheel like the originals and have the Michelin on it for a spare. The dealer said that the Toyota rear rack will only fit compact spares. Justin, tell me where you can buy the kits for carrying the spare. Floyd

APNCUser
40

I was also very frustrated with RFT. Replaced three sets in 52K miles. The recent replacement was only 6 months back and Toyotta guy told me it's okay to replace only two RFT ( which were really bad). Now other two RFT tires are bad. This time I decided to to go with NRFT tires. So I decided to go with mix of two tires with RFT and Two tires NRFT. Is there any problem using mixed tires? And also for long drive of 8 hours trip once in a while?

Juggernaut1999
10

I bought a spare from a non AWD Sienna on ebay. I called and talked to someone at toyota and they said I could do it without damaging the AWD system on my 2008. The dealership will sell your a donut spare rim and tire but you will pay out the nose. BTW the donut spare fits nicely in the back where the "stow and go" goes. It's in my van 24/7

djha
20

I own Toyota 2004 AWD XLE Limited. Now its 92000 miles and Bridgestone RFT is badly damaged after 30000 miles again. I am planning to change it with NRFT ( Michelin - HydroEdge). Please advise if it's OK to do that. I will keep spare tire for long drive.

Jeffrey Klotz
20

Own 2011 XLE AWD. We do at least one 1,000 mile trip per month and have been crossing fingers on each one running the RFT... Well I've reached 23K, and one of the tires has a leak - overnight in the garage it loses 5lbs... I fear that the tread is worn to the point where it will not be fixed... I've decided to go with 5 new conventional tires so that I have a full-size spare. I'll keep it in the back with the stroller locally, and if I need the interior space on longer excursions, mount it on the roof rack with a lock - it may look crazy to some folks, but is common in other countries... I'm seeking recommendations as to a replacement tire... I don't need to be able to throw the van into a corner fast... just looking for quiet ride and decent treadlife...

plojaa
20

I have a 2005 XLE Ltd AWD. I replaced the original set of RFT's per the Toyota replacement they issued. I have since replaced one of those due to a mounting or manufacturing defect, another one due to a flat tire, 2 more due to wearing and I think I just got my 2nd flat. I am done w/ RFT's and put on Michelin Defenders. I also bought a flat tire fix kit to carry. I hope I'm done w/ tires for a long time. This was all done in the matter of 76k miles and 6 years.

Ewall67
15

Just looking for prices and experiences with RFTs, as I own a 2006 sienna AWD. just turned 100,000 mi and I've changed tires out every winter for snow tires... Hard to know exactly but I'm guessing I've gotten at least 50k on these run flats - first set I owned, the ones that came with the car originally. I do service my car pretty faithfully and rotate the tires... Sorry to hear others are having a bad experience, but for me (single mom with 3 kids) I'm willing to spring for the RFTs if it means not being stranded at the side of the road because of a flat.

cjs
20

RFTs are only useful for the case where you get that nail or some other object stuck in the tire and get a small/slow leak. RTF will not help at all when you get a blowout. In the event you get tire damage where the RFT fails, you now need to call AAA, a tow truck, spouse, etc., to come bail you out. I dumped the RFT, went with normal tires around the same price and I purchased a spare tire I just keep in the back. The spare is a hassle when you need to fold down the seats, but I have a lot of piece of mind when travel long distances knowing I have that space. The non-RFTs also provide a smoother quieter ride and I get much longer tread life. Even if you keep the RFTs, seriously think about getting that space, especially if you travel long distances.

cjs
20

Sorry, last sentence should read... "Even if you keep the RFTs, seriously think about getting that SPARE, especially if you travel long distances"

richieM
10

I've got a 2004 Sienna XLE AWD. I went through 2 sets of RFTs because they were wearing out so quickly. One night I had a blow out coming home from a ski trip with my family. I was able to drive about 35 miles on the RFT's before the bad tire shredded. We waiting for a flat bed tow truck, and a 90 mile tow home at 2 in the AM. Lucky I have AAA+. The next day I went to Costco and had all the RFT's removed and replaced with regular Michelin tires on the original rims. The vans ride improved dramaticaly. It handles great, much better then with the old tires. I now drive around with a can of Fix-a-flat and no spare. Still have my AAA+. Almost 40K on the Michelin tires and still going strong.

MMMB
40

Great info above. Thank-you. I have a 2011 Sienna. Love the van, hate the tires. Would never have bought the car had I known. Going on my second set of RFT--replacing every 28,000 miles at $1,000 for 4. Crazy expensive. Also had to buy 2 single tires at 2 different time for road "hazard." Both tires split on the side so I always wonder if it is a defect in the tire. What is the most upsetting is the lack of Toyota support and sympathy. In 2010 (owned van for less than 3 months) we were traveling through Cleveland, OH on our way home to MA. Tire goes and we find a Bridgestone/Firestone. No tire available. Told we would have to wait 2 days for one to be shipped from Chicago. Seriously. Called Cleveland area Toyota Dealers looking for help. No tire, no support, no help. Good Luck we heard. Even called the dealer in MA where we bought the car hoping for guidance and they literally laughed at my husband. Eventually we found 1 tire, drive 20 miles, stayed night in hotel and got on road the following afternoon. After complained with Toyota Nat'l, they did pay for our hotel and dinner. I share this story because I want more people to be aware of this scam that borders on fraud. Thankfully I found this post and will be replacing this set with a set of NRFT.