88 Fiero 2.5. Trying to put in a new fuel pump.

JohnBoySS
25

Asked by JohnBoySS Apr 27, 2013 at 01:46 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero Base

88 Fiero 2.5.  Trying to put in a new fuel pump.  I have the tank on the garage floor under the car.  Is there some trick to getting the plug with the 3 wires off?  It's not budging and I don't want to break it.  I don't see any kind of lock or anything but it's holding solid.

50,675

GM sometimes uses a connector with a separate piece that gets removed first. Look for a small piece that pulls up or can be removed. It holds the locking tab in place.

JohnBoySS
25

Thanks tenspeed. I'm not seeing anything like a lock or pin or anything. But I'm beting there is something. It's just holding to solid to be just hard to unplug. I'll keep looking.

JohnBoySS
25

Here are pics of what I have. :)

Paul Whitlock
805

trace it back towards the frame -- it probably disconnects there and not off the tank -- look in your new kit -- they may have given you butt connectors knowing that you will have to cut the wires --

50,675

I'm with Paul. That does not look like a electrical disconnect on top of the pump. Follow the wires down to a male/female electrical connector.

JohnBoySS
25

No, it isn't. Chased the wires as far as could but did not find a plug of any kind. I have enough slack so I turned the tank on it's side and took everything out, leaving the wires where they are. BUT! I forgot to get a strainer. Have to run to the parts store tomorrow and get one before I put it back together. Forward Ho! :) Thanks for your help guys. :)

Matt Howard
50

Yes there is a bright yellow three pin plug on the firewall. The wire runs through a hole in the frame and down to the tank. Hope you didn't screw anything up by trying to get it off

JohnBoySS
25

No, I was very careful not to screw it up. All done, works great. Thanks for reply. :)