Start/Idle

JohnBoySS
25

Asked by JohnBoySS Apr 06, 2013 at 02:56 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero Base

88 Fiero 4cyl.  Sometimes it acts like maybe it is flooded.  Wont start.  Wait about an hour and it starts but idle bounces between 500-1500 rpm for a minute then smooths out.  Has a new IAC and fuel filter.  There is a little whistle around the Throttle Body but I can't seem to pinpoint it.
Throttle Position Sensor maybe???

68,305

Some of the 2.5's have TPS issue. Look around for the whistle. It might be a intake leak that would lean out the fuel mixture. You can hold a piece of hose to your ear and move it around to find the source.

JohnBoySS
25

Thanks for the reply. :) I have a stethoscope so I took the probe off and used that. The whistle seems to be coming from around the cyl 1 intake. I already have the gasket off so I'll get a new one next week and give that a go. Next thing would be a TPS if it still bounces the idle. We'll see. :)

68,305

Check out the related questions at the bottom of the page. There might be some useful info in them. Thanks for the "Helpful" click.

JohnBoySS
25

Well, I go the intake gasket on. No more whistle. Still bounces from arount 500-1500 when it starts. Really low/no power ant low rpm/idle especially when it's cold. The engines aren't that cold blooded are they? How about a new TPS? Any ideas/suggestions a welcome.