Service Engine Soon light

Melissa Stapley
75

Asked by Melissa Aug 01, 2013 at 10:12 AM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

I purchased a near mint 87 Fiero GT in May of this year. It only has 82k miles on it. I
haven't driven it much (its a 2nd car) but this week I decided to drive it to work for a few
days. While driving the car I noticed that the service engine soon light comes on and
flickers off. The oil gauge is a bit jumpy and the light comes on and shuts off
sometimes when I stop at  a light or when the car is idling. I don't know if this is
something to worry about. I just had an oil change done on the car a month or two ago
and used synthetic oil and had the filters replaced. When we bought the car, our
mechanic checked it out, said in was great shape and there where no mechanical
problems at all. The hard thing is that I know these cars can be temperamental (I
bought an 87 when it was new and had it for many years) but since this one is new to
me, I don't know if it is a 'quirk' of the car or something more serious. Should I be
worried?

judge_roy

Look over your maintenance records to see if the timing chain or belt had been tended to these are maintenance items and if the chain is worn would have lousy performance...is this a 4 cylinder of 6?

Melissa Stapley
75

Its a 6 cylinder. Thank you for your help. I will check that.

judge_roy

I guess the "GT" makes it a six cylinder~

judge_roy

Yes...confirmed...you have a timing chain...a good one DOUBLE chain for reliability...I would not worry about this, but other maintenance items...check the owner's manual there has got to be a "mainenance checklist for your 80,000 mile maintenance...repack wheel bearings change filters of all types...fresh lightbulbs...new wipers~ check your manual and records~ you're going to be okay with your current timing chain unless it starts to rattle noticeably~

judge_roy

might be the 02 sensor is due for replacement...have your trouble codes read by a auto parts store...think this one is a OBD-I and takes a bit of a fashion to read the codes~

Melissa Stapley
75

Wow. Thank you! I really appreciate your help. Luckily, I was given all of the original paperwork and manuals when I bought the car. Now I know where to start. Thanks again :O)

17,915

Have the oil pressure checked hot at idle, it may just be a bad oil pressure sender.

Melissa Stapley
75

Ok I will try that too. Thank you

82,385

Scan the car for codes since the SES light is on and off. The code or codes will be stored in memory.

Melissa Stapley
75

Will do thank you Tom

Sean Micheals
0

This looks exactly like the Fiero GT my friend sold in May. The light in his went off all the time too but it worked great. What city did you buy this car in because that might be the car I almost bought.