1987 Fiero Engine Swap

java217
35

Asked by java217 Aug 06, 2012 at 12:55 AM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

I have a 1987 Fiero GT. It has the stock v6 with a manual transmission. I'm upgradin to a 99 GTP from a
Grand Prix. So I guess my question is, is it possible to keep my car a manual with the engine swap and is
there any guidelines or books out there that will help me with the swap. My dad has been a mechanic for
50+ years so he knows how to do it. I just have to get everything together first and I want to make sure I
have it all right.

trip65

you have to make sure the fly wheel is gonna match up to the crank. you might have to change it. you're gonna need more than just the engine ,engine wire harness, ecm , exhaust manifolds might be different & the bell housing. i would check with some scrap yards on interchanging parts they would know best.

Andrew Welsh
185

go to pennock's fiero forum. I believe that would be a 3.8L v6 correct? If it is, that swap is done ALL THE TIME, and it will not be difficult to find a well documented build. I believe that engine will actually bolt up to your existing trans. I don't know the nitty gritty of the swap but if that is the 3.8, then it's a pretty easy swap