My key wont turn in the ignition

JessicaVanO
0

Asked by JessicaVanO Jan 09, 2013 at 07:19 PM about the 2007 Kia Optima EX

I have an 07' kia optima. I put the key in the ignition to find that it wont turn. I even tried the shift lock
to put it in neutral and it still wont turn. The brake is also locked and the steering wheel will not turn.
Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it?

James Warner
1,930

im first going to assume that this key works ok in the doors on this vehicle? if so then its probably not the key. which leaves a couple of possibilites. either the steering wheel is "locked" which makes it very difficult o turn the key unless the pressure is taken off the steering wheel. or a tumbler inside the ignition switch has been damaged and isnt dropping like its supposed to so you can turn the ignition. if its the steering wheel in a locked position it will move a little one way and not at all the other. put the key in the igintion and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and the ignition should free up enought to turn the key and your back in business. if thats not it it will probably need an ignition switch which may be a little costly since you can free it up to release the old switch

jyant
40

I have a 2007 Kia optima that did the same thing. I had it towed twice and they could not duplicate the problem. Finally someone said the starter needed to be changed and that solved my problem.

itsjustlisab
30

My 2013 Optima has been doiing that all weekend. Every time I shut the car off I have to fight to get the key out, turn it on again, move steerng wheel etc. I just found a site that said to use WD-40 n the ignition. I did that and now it is working fine! I used the WD-40 and played with starting the car up then shutting it off and takign the key out. I has worked everytime since I did that.

kc07kia
100

My 2007 Key is stuck in the ignition, I could not get it out, it would turn on but it would not turn left for me to take it out, it stayed in the acc position until I disconnected the battery. The key came out but only when the battery was disconnect... Off to the dealer I go. :-(

Msnuggles
50

My 2006 Optima has done this off and on for months. Once my battery even died because of this problem. I am so sick of this crap! What pisses me off is that with the magnitude of people complaining about the same issue... KIA KNOW ABOUT IT; YET HAS DONE NOTHING!! I will NEVER buy another KIA!!!!

janicehel
10

I am having that same problem with my 2012 Optima. It is driving me nuts. The dealer said to jerk the wheel real hard to the right but that didn't help either. I will try graphite or WD-40 in the ignition.

mrfixit_1
20

Hold the brake in then take your right hand and pull the gear shift knob close to Park "P" until you hear a click, then take your left hand and push the key in and turn left. The key will come out.

DebBoston
0

I just had this happen this morning on my 2014 Optima that I'll have had one month tomorrow (with ~630 miles on it). What a shock to not have the key work! I tried several times, and then, I'm not completely sure what I did (I do remember yanking on the steering wheel) it freed up. Wow.

mark92126
0

I have a2001 serento with a 6 speed the key got stuck in the ignition, went to dealer and he sold me a new ignition without bothering to tell me that the computer would need to be reprogramed for the new fob, also have check engine light on Code says manifold so its also not covered by the bogus warranty I will never !!!!!! Ever !!!!!!! buy another KIA wont even take it free !

mark92126
0

sorry 2011 Sorrento what a POS Never again

Ballhawk
10

My ignition switch jammed. Key would not turn. Tried the wheel wiggling but no luck. Car towed back to dealer today, and they are going to charge me $540 to fix the goddam thing. My 2008 Optima has only 28,000 miles on it but I was told the drive train warranty covers engine and transmission only, not ignition switch or steering parts. No more Kia cars for me, period.

Tonia Jones
10

I have a 2009 Kia Optimal and since yesterday I have not been able to turn my ignition. I did think about wd40 but I haven't tried it yet but why should I have to. I'm having it towed to the shop. Saturn just had a recall for the same problem. Kia needs a recall.

Ballhawk
10

If you purchased your Optima new in 2009 that means your 5-year bumper to bumper warranty will expire sometime this year. Hopefully you are still under warranty. Otherwise you will have to pay for the repair yourself. (Ignition switch/steering lock malfunctions are not covered by the Kia 10-year drive train warranty.) You should attempt to negotiate a low repair cost with your dealer by raising Hell with them.

2011optmaKC
0

The second guy who answered this question about a year ago had it right. I have a 2011 KIA optima and couldn't get the her or if the ignition after shutting her down. It's the starter. Drive around the block and revved the rpms both in great and neutral. Then it came right out. Magic.