My key wont turn in the ignition

JessicaVanO
0

Asked by JessicaVanO Jan 09, 2013 at 07:19 PM about the 2007 Kia Optima EX

I have an 07' kia optima. I put the key in the ignition to find that it wont turn. I even tried the shift lock
to put it in neutral and it still wont turn. The brake is also locked and the steering wheel will not turn.
Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it?

James Warner
1,490

im first going to assume that this key works ok in the doors on this vehicle? if so then its probably not the key. which leaves a couple of possibilites. either the steering wheel is "locked" which makes it very difficult o turn the key unless the pressure is taken off the steering wheel. or a tumbler inside the ignition switch has been damaged and isnt dropping like its supposed to so you can turn the ignition. if its the steering wheel in a locked position it will move a little one way and not at all the other. put the key in the igintion and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and the ignition should free up enought to turn the key and your back in business. if thats not it it will probably need an ignition switch which may be a little costly since you can free it up to release the old switch

jyant
40

I have a 2007 Kia optima that did the same thing. I had it towed twice and they could not duplicate the problem. Finally someone said the starter needed to be changed and that solved my problem.

itsjustlisab
20

My 2013 Optima has been doiing that all weekend. Every time I shut the car off I have to fight to get the key out, turn it on again, move steerng wheel etc. I just found a site that said to use WD-40 n the ignition. I did that and now it is working fine! I used the WD-40 and played with starting the car up then shutting it off and takign the key out. I has worked everytime since I did that.

kc07kia
50

My 2007 Key is stuck in the ignition, I could not get it out, it would turn on but it would not turn left for me to take it out, it stayed in the acc position until I disconnected the battery. The key came out but only when the battery was disconnect... Off to the dealer I go. :-(

Msnuggles
30

My 2006 Optima has done this off and on for months. Once my battery even died because of this problem. I am so sick of this crap! What pisses me off is that with the magnitude of people complaining about the same issue... KIA KNOW ABOUT IT; YET HAS DONE NOTHING!! I will NEVER buy another KIA!!!!

janicehel
0

I am having that same problem with my 2012 Optima. It is driving me nuts. The dealer said to jerk the wheel real hard to the right but that didn't help either. I will try graphite or WD-40 in the ignition.