Why does it take My Range Rover to hit 1.5-2 rpms before it starts accelerating? The abs, check engine, and brake lights are on after hearing a little pop noise.

Asked by RobRuth Apr 09, 2013 at 11:00 AM about the 2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE

After hearing a little pop noise I believe from the rear, my brake, abs, and check engine light came on. Also my car
doesn't accelerate until it hits about 1.5- 2 rpms. Also while driving the monitor and radio turns off.

Rob, you have multiple issues going on. First check the level of your transmission fluid. Then my best suggestion is get your OBD codes scanned. Any large parts house will do it free. Write down the codes, May or may not begin with a "P" but it will be a letter and four numbers...bring them back here.

That is an excellent car you have..I;m sure you know that. At least it doesn't have a CVT

Just reading up on the car..a 5 speed shiftable automatic..you are starting off in 1st gear, right?

You may have lost a wheel speed sensor. Maybe that's what the 'pop' was. Maybe.

Thanx, Yes I put the car in drive and this happens. I am going to get the codes checked and see what they are I will post them.

Do that. It is the exact right thing to do. If you want bring the codes back here and one of us will be happy to help you decide what to do next, before you buy something you don't need..the parts guys will do that, sell you anything they can

sorry you already said you will post them. I should finish reading before I spout

So Im guessing an issue with the alternator ? It took me about 15 minutes to jump it. The radio only turns off when I accelerate. And the car only accelerates still after 1.5-2 rpms. Went to Autozone the code they read was P1710. My check engine light was on last month but went off and when I went to autozone that time the code was p1170. The check engine light is back on though since this issue.

Just took it for a little drive and the lights were still on and all the problems still happening. It seems when I put it in reverse and back to drive the little pop happens and now says"TRANS FAILSAFE PROG"on the dash. Sometimes my instrument cluster(message center on dash) doesn't work so I didn't see this message before

At: http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/123/Diagnostics/Land-Rover/Default.aspx there are the Range Rover codes..ALL of them and there are literally thousands. You must also have Adobe reader or it won't work. They will hyperlink you to the fault cause but they are random...there is no sense of order, all mixed up. I scrolled looking for P1710, it's in there if you feel like looking, if you go to that page you will see what I mean, no system whatsoever. But if you click on one of them, there is a box to enter the code, so I did that, and it was indeed a "transmission fault no other information available. Click on code on previous page". Whopee, no s** Sherlock, we knew that. Rob if you want to, try it but it's frustrating, it IS IN THERE

Now Rob I did find P1170. That's o2 sensor and will mess with your fuel/air trim

I went to my buddy's fathers shop he said it was the alternator and also the reason why I'm getting all the warning lights and messages. Now my question is, is putting in a new alternator a job for a local shop or is this something to bring to the dealership for them to fix ?

Local shop. No doubt. Dealer will be 3X 4X the cost for same thing

Do yourself a favor and local shop buy the big shop manual - expensive but helped my non rover mechanic alot