Iam on the way to buy a 2001 Range Rover , is it a good Idea , and what should I look for when checking it at the mechanic shop before buying it ??? and what about the air suspensions ? are they easly damaging and coastly in repairing ?

DrHaytham
10

Asked by DrHaytham Apr 24, 2013 at 06:21 AM about the 2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE

I live in Dubai , I want to know what are the goods and bads regarding buying a used Range Rover 2001 , 160000 Km , regular history in maintaining it at the Land Rover agency , with a good condition and no real accedents?
The suggested price is about AED 15000 ,(nearly 2800 $ ). ??? is it a good deal ?? or its future maintainance gonna coast me a lot ???

Lars Cats
2,405

The P38A Range Rover 1994 - 2002 is the worst model there is maintenance wise, parts are costly and reliability is poor compared to earlier and later model series. It was basically used by BMW (then owner of Land Rover) as a testbed for new features where the owners pretty much ended up fixing all the issues. Air suspension sensors, bags, pumps and valve blocks are expensive and really sensitive to failure. Electic seat switches are very unreliable and expensive to replace too. The 4.6 litre V8 engine has a very poor track record due to cylinder walls being so thin to accomodate the increase in capacity from the original 3.5 litre engine that overheating problems are common. Personally I would either go for a Range Rover Classic or an L322.

John Sturman
1,035

i agree with lars the parts for the model in question will cost you a fortune even second hand as bmw fucked up big time and the punters have been footing the bill

John Sturman
1,035

would recomend that you go for a land cruser or a lwb shogun gdi both of theese are far better than the p38 and the face lift version they did

Lars Cats
2,405

Personally I am partial to the classic model Range Rover, especially the pre-EFI models. The lack of anti-roll bars may be a pain on roundabouts or sharp bends but there's nothing better in rough terrain in that level of luxury. Parts are cheap and still plentiful and the cars are user maintainable!