My Samurai sat for a long time, now it won't idle.

rsw
0

Asked by rsw Nov 05, 2012 at 11:00 PM about the 1994 Suzuki Samurai 2 Dr JL 4WD Convertible

I have a 1994 Suzuki Samurai that sat for about 18 months without being started.  Now it runs, but it won't idle.  I have run most of a tank of gas through it with fuel injector cleaner, but that has made no difference.  I suspect there could be a vacuum leak, but I would think it would have to be a big obvious leak, and I haven't been able to see any damaged hoses yet.  Anything else I should be looking for?

scttyc
265

Try the air filter.if dirty or loose it will cut the engine

DavidH25

Try some alcohol based water remover with another tank of gas, condensation may have gotten water in tank, and yeah vacuum leak will cause idle problems, not only look but listen carefully for a leak, it is not necessarily a big leak, could be a 1/4 inch hose. Gently pull on all vacuum hoses and see if any are dangling.

Twistedchild
10

Samurai's have carbs, the fuel in the float chamber in the carbs dry up when stored that long (without draining it). The fuel becomes varnish, the idling jet has the smallest holes and will get clogged up. Sorry, you have to open the carbs and clean them up... carb overhaul anyone?