AC Problem

Asked by ghenry Sep 04, 2012 at 02:26 PM about the 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible

The first time I drive my car that day the AC comes on for about 20 to 30 minutes with cold air but after that time it only blows warm air until it sits overnight and the same thing the next day. We had a Saab repair place diagnose it and we were told the compressor was going out. We had our mechanic install a new compressor but on the way home it did the same thing and also did the same thing the next day. He took it out and reinstalled the old one so we still have the same issue. We know for sure he did the job right and he did put in the oil that is needed. From the answers to this problem that other saab owners have had it could be a compressor control circuit (bad sensor), Compressor fuse, AC control unit (I have no idea what that is), or the AC gas container. There is another saab place we can take it but they charge $150 to diagnose it and we don't want to pay to do that. Please let me know how we can figure out what the problem is. The place that diagnosed it continues to say it is the compressor and because they didn't do the install of the other one they won't do anything.

Michael McGrail

It is not the fuse.. AC would not work at all. I honestly doubt it is a pressure sensor (hi or low), but it could be?? Greater chance it is the AC accumulator (or as you call it the AC gas container) or possibly a clogged orifice tube. Typically you change the orifice tube and the AC accumulator when you replace the compressor because used refrigerant oil tends to gel when exposed to air. And I am assuming the ac control unit is that thing in the dash that you use to turn the ac on :-) and depending on whether it is vacuum or electric, that could also be the culprit (especially since this was a pre-existing issue).

Thank you for your suggestions. I have another mechanic looking at it and I will run these by him.

Hi Michael! How did you solve your problem? I have same problems with my Saab-93

Sorry! I ment Hi ghenry! How did you solve your problem? I have same problems with my Saab-93

did anyone ever figure this problem out I'm having the same issue with my saab 9-3

Deanna Welch

me too I'm having same issue took car to firestone they said its a electronic problem waiting on car now.