Has anyone heard of SAAB offering assistance for Transmission/Radiator replacement?

NewbieSAABgal
35

Asked by NewbieSAABgal Jun 20, 2008 at 08:41 AM about the 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

I just had to replace my Transmission and Radiator b/c the connection between them was faulty. The problems started at about 92K when sensors were replaced and were finally resolved recently at 102K with a $4200 total replacement of both systems. I take mine to an authorized SAAB repair facility (S&J Automotive in Atlanta - I LOVE these folks in case anyone in Atlanta is reading) but not a dealer. Has anyone seen SAAB step up to subsidize these repairs based on what sounds like a design flaw and if so, can you advise how best to get that assistance. I bought my SAAB 2 1/2 years ago for a great price at 54K and have gone everywhere in it. Until now, I've LOVED it. I've had the usual issues but none of them have cost me big bucks like this. I spend a lot of time on the road so my mileage stays higher than average and I seem to be a test-case of lots of the problems, but I haven't minded until now. Anybody else ahead of me on miles to warn me about future concerns?

Anthony Allen
25

OOOHhhhh i see what your saying now. Did you have an engine cooling problem or shifting/trans problem before hand what was it? From what Ive read , they just went around the problem and replace everything not a bad price for that kinda work but I think you might have gotten taken for your money.If everything was shifting right and no radiator leaks or major problems besides the connection the should've fixed the problem not replaced both trans and radiator. but again if you can some how scan the repair order and diagnosis sheet I can either tell you why they did it or if they want just your money.

Jon Themann
15

I am an ASE certified Technician and a Saab nut. To answer your question, YES. Saab has had huge problems with the radiator's internal oil cooler failing on 03/04 9-3 SS models giving the transmission "trace" amount of engine coolant. Saab has always been pretty kind about knowing when they've screwed up, but you would need to contact their customer service number. I've heard of them buying transmissions, but typically at lower mileage. Other than issues with the electric power steering and ignition modules causing misfires, the 93-SS has been decent.