Would like to replace my factory radio/CD in my 2003 9-3 Convertible with a unit that would allow me to plug in my iPhone and still use the dash controls. Anyone have any hints or links?

Paul Robidoux
5

Asked by Paul Nov 09, 2009 at 02:05 AM about the 2003 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible

Jan Fosen
425

Do you mean that you want to use the dash controlls to control the Iphone? Cause thats impossible. But what you can do is : - buy this item http://www.elkparts.com/saab-93-ss-m03-on/accessories/interior/genuine-saab-mp3-auxin-kit-for-ipod--mp3-br-saab-93sscv-m0306.p2386.html You whould also need an AUX cable to plug from the AUX connection and into the Iphone AUX outake . :)

Chase Sutherland
4,195

not sure that can be done...i dont think it can. now i do know that head units can be installed and still have steering wheel controls still work. also, ive been to multiple audio businesses and talked to them about using the iphone and all have suggested using a normal ipod and not the iphone. just thought you might like to know that.

Brian Keegan
45

to replace the cd player needs to be done by the dealer, it has to be electronicaly "divorced" from the car because of the antitheft system and then "remaried" to the car.

dimsum74
30

BTW - I did it on my car. No problem. The issue that most car audio guys had was they were trying to remove the top unit which killed everything. But if your car is like mine (2003/Linear/9-3), there was a bottom single CD player, separate from the recevier on top. If yours was consolidated into one unit then disregard my post. But if your car is like mine, then leave the top alone. Just simply remove the bottom CD player and shove in your after-market head unit. I had to create a cutout to cover the extra space that the after-market head unit left. The only issue is that I lost the integrated steering wheel music controls but that was expected. Leave the onstar speakers alone and let them remain attached to where they are. i simply ran new speakers cables to the head unit, and from there ran new cabling into the trunk where I had the amps and subwoofers. My head unit allowed me to connect my iPod, no problema.

Brian Keegan
45

you are the 3rd person that has succeded in doing this that i know of and now that you mention it mine is seprate so i now need to get a replacement cd player and im set.