CAR STARTS EASY, BUT WON'T HOLD AN IDLE & DIES OUT

southernpride69
85

Asked by Oct 31, 2012 at 01:05 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr STD Sedan

CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A FEW YEARS. THE IN TANK FUEL PUMP & FILTER HAS BEEN REPLACED. THE FUEL INJECTORS WERE TAKEN OUT & CLEANED. NOW THE CAR STARTS EASILY, BUT WON'T IDLE. CAR ACCELERATES SMOOTHLY. THANKS FOR ANY HELP !  1986 OLDS. DELTA 88 ROYALE  3.8 V/8

27,775

Has the gas been replaced?

southernpride69
85

YES, TANK WAS EMPTIED & FRESH GAS PUT IN. WHEN THE NEW TANK PUMP WAS INSTALLED W/ NEW PUMP STRAINER & FILTER.

27,775

Check the idle air control. Looks similar to a C battery and its black on the throttle body. Pull it off clean it really really good with carburetor, or brake cleaner. It may be gummed up or stuck shut in its closed loop mode and that would choke the engine with gas.

southernpride69
85

THE IAC HAD HI-RESISTANCE. I REPLACED IAC & PUT A BOTTLE OF LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER IN THE TANK. I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM OF DIEING , NOT HOLDING AN IDLE ! WHAT ELSE CAN I CHECK ?

27,775

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Get the gauge hooked up and get it to run at the lowest rpm you can. Come back with the rpm and vacuum it pulled

Best Answer
southernpride69
85

I FOUND A MAJOR VACUUM LEAK, SOLVED THAT & IT'S IDLE IS MUCH BETTER. NOW I'M DEALING WITH SUM MINOR ELECT. PROBLEMS ! THANKS

27,775

Nice where was it leaking and what are the electrical problems?

southernpride69
85

VACUUM LEAK WAS MAIN LINE GOIN BACK TO BRAKE BOOSTER. NO TAILLIGHTS, BUT HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS. NO FRONT TURN SIGNALS & NO DASH LIGHTS. COOLING FANS DON'T WORK .

Nina Rodriguez
20

My car stalled out & wouldn't crank so I bought a new starter and it crunk but now it runs rough if it stays running what else could it be

Kenneth Belmont
0

Nina, what do you mean by "it stays running??" A bad starter shouldn't cause it to stall. If the starter was the problem, then it simply wouldn't start. Also, what do you mean by "running rough??" Can you be a little more specific?

Heith Inghels
0

ok, for starters the 3.8 liter is a V6 not a V8. My 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham, was having trouble staying running while I was driving, the following is what I did to get it back up and running. 1. replace spark plugs/wires, 2. Ignition control module, 3. coil pack, 4. mass air flow sensor, 5. 02 sensor, 6, air intake sensor. once I got these done, it fires up perfectly every time. if you do it right (autozone rewards program) you can get some free in store cash for use later, I put a cold air intake system on my car after all that.