ABS and Brake light on. What does it mean?

slick75
0

Asked by slick75 Feb 08, 2010 at 02:26 PM about the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Standard Cab LB

My abs light and my brake light is on, I heard this is a pretty common issue with these trucks. What
are some recommendations on a starting point for troubleshooting.

Matthew Huttema
395

I have the same thing on my truck. what year is yours? i got it checked out at the shop and they said that i would have to replace the abs computor which is about $2500 CDN

Sam Salameh
160

i had that same problem and all my car need was break fluid .. i guess thats the cars way of telling u you need break fluid !! hope it helps

97drexelgrad
475

In many cars and trucks, the abs sensor is built into the wheel bearings of each wheel. These thin wires can become corroded and break, especially if you live in the Northern states where road salt is a plenty in the winter. As the previous reply stated- check the fluid first. If all is good, you could contact a GM dealership and have them scan your system with a Tech2 scanner. That would be able to tell you exactly what wheel is causing the trouble and DTC. ( diagnostic trouble code). Or you could pull each wheel, disconnect the bearing harness, hook up a continuity tester to the two leads and spin the bearing. If the meter changes its reading, then that bearing is good. If it stays at 0, then the wire internally is broken, causing an open circuit, therefore causiung the ABS/brake light to illuminate. Good Luck

Glenn Clingenpeel
1,480

Mine sometimes comes on when I start the truck, and sometimes when I am moving at constant speeds. Sometimes, it can be a month or more, before seeing the light come on. I have read the wheel sensors may be dirty. How does one clean them? Does the wheel hub, or wheel sensor need to be diassembled, in order to clean it?

Josepi Locascio
195

what happen to mine was it came on and off and i hooked up the scanner and it said the speed sensor so i changed the wheel bearing and it fixed the problem

KevDizz
790

Im having a problem on my 2004 sierra where my abs light comes on when i hit bumps in the road. but then it will go away either on its own or when i turn the truck off and back on. this all started happening after i got my tires aligned. ive already replaced the front two wheel bearings this year as well

Loztcauze
310

KevDizz, that's the same thing that's happening to me except I never had the tires aligned. I replaced the sensor that the code came up for and still comes on and goes off when it wants to.

Jeremy Lancaster
40

Or could mean u need to change your brakes

Obey Cool
480

I have a question abs because it pop up my dashboard and I am driving a GMC ENVOY THE ON MY TRUCK IS A 2000 WHAT SHOULD I DO

You think this is helpful.
2004Sierra
180

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Truck. The transfer case will not engage into four wheel drive. I took it to a GMC dealer and they are saying that is internal, but can not diagnois it until it is taken apart. Anyone have any suggestions?

Barbara Turner
380

I have a 98 Blazer. My husband just had the clock spring, both airbag sensors front driver and passenger replaced, vacuum hose, front sway bar, all front brakes - rotors, hub assemblies, calipers and that was just to get it inspected! Since I got it back however the abs light was coming on and off and the left front brakes would bddddtttt grab and make an awful ffflllllpppp sound and scare me to death. Took it to Auto Zone and the girl put the code diagnostic on it and showed me it was the left front brake with a code of 225 and 227, the speed sensor. Took it and got that fixed this morning and that fixed the braking problem but now the ABS light is on and won't go off at all. They told me that I needed to have the complete system diagnosed for all codes and wires, etc. could be bad or something wrong. HELP! Does anybody have any other cheaper ideas! I'm on full disability, my husband just laid out $1,500 to get all I talked about above fixed, I laid out $184.00 for the speed sensor. I'm being drained fast! WHAT could it be?! Thanks!

Loztcauze
310

I replaced the speed sensor and it still came on so then I ordered a new hub assembly which came with a speed sensor(didn't know that) so I put that on and haven't had a problem since, been about ten months now. Now I have an extra sensor. Wish I could help more, was yours a repairable or in a flood or something.

Barbara Turner
380

Loztcauze: My husband as I said in my post had all rotors, hub assys, calipers, ALL of it replaced brand new. No it was garage kept for the entire life of the vehicle prior to my purchase. It's in basically mint condition. Thanks anyway!

jessegm1991
60

the cause for the abs light and brake light to come on is because of your master cylinder is on its way out i had it happen on my truck replaced the master cylinder and the lights have not come back on it common for this to happen if had to replace it in a couple of vehicles of mine the are gm modeled vehicles

Barbara Turner
380

@ jessegm1991 - Actually, my husband who used to build cars and was 1 year away from rookie NASCAR status when we married checked all around my Blazer and the MC was and is fine! What it turns out to be is simply an open circuit when I had the codes checked. So thanks for your expertise.

jessegm1991
60

ok that something i looked into before i replaced it there wasnt open circuit it was bad but i also found out that my hub is bad everything in it it hasnt been replaced im doing that today

Barbara Turner
380

Are you talking about the ABS computer unit, those run about $300.00 where I live. Everything works fine but just the abs light on. It passed inspection and they told me not to worry about it. The ABS brake sys works fine, stops on a dime.

Seth Hartman
80

could a wheel speed sensor being disconnected during an alignment cause it to pull to one side? 97 GMC Yukon

Ken Copeland
70

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 with the ABS lights on also. Truck runs like a dream. I was told it was the E break line. IDK if that's true or not at this point but it has been to 6 states repeatedly in the last 3 years & ZERO issues. On a side note my friend just bought a 2001 GMC (same truck & same lights) still runs like a dream also... IDK if the lights are more than just annoying inconvenience that GM triggers to get more $$$... Neither of the trucks seem to have any REAL issues.

jsarge
170

My abs lite came on turns out I needed new brakes which I got abs lite still on does it have to be reset .

Derek Feeback
20

I'm having some trouble on my 04 saturn vue ... The ABS light the emergency brakes light my traction control light and the service car light comes on and all my gags stop working , at some point my gags will work but most of the time it won't .. Anyone know what can be the main issue

Ivan Cruz
0

Ecm modul ground wire,, clean it and put it back ,, when ligth turn on and off , it make no good ground, and sometimes it does

Steve Boyd
10

Lol i removed the bulbs. Ahh thats better and i didnt even spend a penny

Maris Mitchell
20

Ok, so after reading all posts, I'm similar with abs and emergency light coming on every few starts after having front end aligned. It causes the cruise control to be inop. Had brake pads changed all the way around and mc had plenty of fluid. My question is how can you tell if mc is good, and if car needs reset? Reason I ask is when sensor said I needed an oil change, after having the service done, it still displays the need oil change message. Been a chevy driver a long time but first time dealing with all the bells and whistles of my recently purchased 2004 z71 tahoe

Maris Mitchell
20

Reset the system. Cured my messages

Barbara Turner
380

@ Maris: Exactly how do you "reset the system"? Do I have to be a mechanic to do that? Which I am not, btw

Maris Mitchell
20

Go to a shop with a diagnostic reader and ask them to. Best 40-60 bucks you'll spend. But ask them to read it first. :) case there's something going on you should be aware of

Barbara Turner
380

Right after I had the speed sensor replaced last year when the ABS light came on when I start it up and it won't go off, I took it to Advance Auto and the code came up that it was an open circuit. Should I still take it for what you suggest when I already had that read? The brake light goes off as it's supposed to. Just the ABS light remains on. I was told that it being on would not affect my getting it inspected as long as the brakes work fine. I'm not thinking it's anything but just the circuit broken somewhere because when I slam on the brakes, it stops straight on a dime. Our family Master Mechanic told me not to worry about it because as long as the brakes are functioning properly, it means the ABS is functioning properly. He checked everything. He couldn't figure out what the code indicated as well.

temple62
30

There is nothing mechanically wrong with your GMC truck. This is a GM engineered ploy to get you to take your vehicle to the dealer for a remedy. I did and it cost $45 and a tolerance of morons at the dealer telling me there was "water" in the fuse box? I paid the bill, started the truck and the ABS light and ding dong came on as it had before. 2 years later it is still coming on about every other time I start the truck! With 33,000 city miles on it, the ABS has never been used since I do not drive on the interstate for longer than 10 miles. Gotta love GM, they'll try anything to scare the customer into giving them more business!