I have a 91 Caprice classic check engine light

neu104
30

Asked by neu104 Jul 12, 2014 at 05:56 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

It comes on when starting about 1 out of every 8 starts. If I shut the car off the light goes off
and doesn't come back on when restarted. There doesn't appear  to be anything wrong.
Oil and coolant are full. The car runs great. Can't figure it out.

18,305

You'll need to get the trouble code(s) out of the computer. Your Caprice is OBD I so you can pull the codes using a paper clip. Under the dash to the right of the steering column you'll find the ALDL connector (see picture). With the ignition off insert the ends of the paper clip into the holes at the top right corner of the ALDL connector. Now turn the ignition to the run position but do NOT start the engine. The service engine soon light will begin flashing a code 12 to let you know you're in diagnosis mode. It will appear as flash.............. flash, flash. It will flash out code 12 three times. Then there be a long pause and any codes stored will flash out the same way, three times each. Once all the codes have been flashed out, code 12 will begin flashing again. The trouble codes will be two digits. Such as 44, for example. Once you have the codes post them and we'll be able to help further. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer