alternator not charging without revving engine

trenheol
10

Asked by trenheol Oct 24, 2013 at 01:18 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

I changed my alternator after replacing the fusable link . the red wire on the back of the alt is hot and at voltage . the red wire at connector is also  hot . when starting the alternator It doesn't charge until I revv the motor . checked all fuses and can't find any blown . I get all different codes untill It starts to charge . any help ! please

Al Self
295

You have a short in your electrical systum, the short is drawing so mutch power that it is draining the power that your alt. creates. you need to find the short, first check all the lights for a bad element in the bulb or a faulty ground. then pull fuses to eleminate different curcuits.

trenheol
10

I will give that a try , thanks

Ron Weigl
15

Maybe the rpm is to low to charge.

trenheol
10

the alternator came from autozone I think the regulator is wrong . from what I read it is supposed to be self enerergizing . once you rev the motor it charges fine . belt ok and pulley is right . thats what I get for trying to save a buck .