Can the ABS brake system on a 1995 Silverado be properly bled at home?

Kadink
10

Asked by Kadink Jul 15, 2013 at 08:36 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Reg. Cab 6.5-ft. Bed 2WD

I've bled the brakes on my truck 4 times and still have a spongey pedal that goes nearly to the floor. I read somewhere that there is a button on the ABS unit that has to be pushed in to get all the air out. I think the 1995 model is somewhat different from the rest. Is there some one who can enlighten me on this. I'm stumped...Thanks in advance. Ron

DavidH25

If you have bled them in the conventional way, and still have that problem, here is another way, with a scan tool and pressure bleeder. .....Attach a pressure bleeder to the master cylinder reservoir and turn the ignition key to the On position. Pressurize the system to 35 pounds per square inch with the bleeder screws closed. Connect the scan tool and set it to "Automatic Bleed Procedure." Wait one minute for the tool to energize and cycle the ABS solenoids. Bleed each wheel as the scan tool instructs you to. The pump will run and the release valve on each wheel will cycle for one minute. Afterward, the scan tool purges any extra air with one last 20 second cycling of the solenoids. Relieve the pressure at the bleeder connected to the master cylinder and then remove it from the cylinder. Test the pedal's height and feel it to make sure the pedal feels firm and all the air is purged. OR..take a look at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KpKxD8zOUI