I have a 96 Chevy 1500. The gas gauge is messed up well the floater on it. It says I have a full tank but actually have half a tank. Where do I begin to find out what the problem is and fix it?

alleykat
0

Asked by alleykat Feb 14, 2012 at 04:12 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Ext. Cab 6.5-ft. Bed 2WD

Devin Woodworth
315

sounds like you need a new fuel level sender, its part of the fuel pump so save your pennies

TJMOOSEHEAD
35

yeah, sounds, like fuel sender in the tank - in 1996, it was a transistion year - may have to replace the whole unit with the fuel pump - or may not. One some this year model - you can replace only the sender unit. You will have to gain access to the tank unit. Check the connections - this is a problem as well. You can remove the unit and have someone watch the gauge as you move the sender up and down to help verify the problem - or simply OHM the unit to verify the problem. Could be the gauge cluster itself or broken wire between the two..

Kevin Price
45

Pretty sure its the sender unit. I had the same problem on my truck, but mine was a 95.

Devin Woodworth
315

oh, its usually also a sign that your fuel pump is on its way out

Jonathan Buchanan
65

Be careful the wire hook up on the pumps are easy to snap when lowering the tank. i find it easyer to just pull the bed back

2000camaro
45

I would just be prepared to replace the whole pump because I am sure it is all one unit. Get a A/C Delco pump and new lock ring with O-Ring made on it. If not the tank may not seal around pump and you will know it when you fill the tank.

glambert
10

same problem here with my truck but the gauge still does not work , after replacing the pump and sending unit 2 times ,