I have a 96 Chevy 1500. The gas gauge is messed up well the floater on it. It says I have a full tank but actually have half a tank. Where do I begin to find out what the problem is and fix it?

Asked by alleykat Feb 14, 2012 at 04:12 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Ext. Cab 6.5-ft. Bed 2WD

Devin Woodworth

sounds like you need a new fuel level sender, its part of the fuel pump so save your pennies

yeah, sounds, like fuel sender in the tank - in 1996, it was a transistion year - may have to replace the whole unit with the fuel pump - or may not. One some this year model - you can replace only the sender unit. You will have to gain access to the tank unit. Check the connections - this is a problem as well. You can remove the unit and have someone watch the gauge as you move the sender up and down to help verify the problem - or simply OHM the unit to verify the problem. Could be the gauge cluster itself or broken wire between the two..

Kevin Price

Pretty sure its the sender unit. I had the same problem on my truck, but mine was a 95.

Devin Woodworth

oh, its usually also a sign that your fuel pump is on its way out

Jonathan Buchanan

Be careful the wire hook up on the pumps are easy to snap when lowering the tank. i find it easyer to just pull the bed back

I would just be prepared to replace the whole pump because I am sure it is all one unit. Get a A/C Delco pump and new lock ring with O-Ring made on it. If not the tank may not seal around pump and you will know it when you fill the tank.

same problem here with my truck but the gauge still does not work , after replacing the pump and sending unit 2 times ,

Jimmy Bedwell

Well this sucks.. put a newer fuel pump in my truck with my overhaul I did.. guy I got it from was such an ass.. I have put over $3,000 into a truck worth 1200 that I bought for $2,000 cus the shit he did was temporary until it broke I saw things held together with zip ties.. now my fuel gauge has been off for years but its getting worse.. I ran out of gas when it said 1/4 and so I put 10gal into my 26gal tank and it says 1/2 is there anything I can do to fix it.. I can't take it back cus fuel pump is past warranty.. please email me mayrmaverick8@gmail.com