were is the oil filter located

jimm
0

Asked by jimm Mar 04, 2007 at 12:54 PM about the 2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4 Limited Crew Max 6-Speed

were is the oil filter located at on the toyota 5.7 litr engine

LouB
11,640

Hi Jimm ... As I noted in an earlier replay "Where in the World is My Oil Filter" seems to be a popular game among Tundra owners. You should simply give the service manager at your Toyota dealership and get the location and the switch out procedure as well. If that doesn't work for you, try your local quick-lube place. They know where it is! Good luck.

Anonymous
0

Let me know when you find out, I have been crawling all over mine with no lick yet.

Anonymous
0

It doesn't have a spin on filter. Look on the passenger side of the engine block up front. It will have 2 coolant hosed and a big allen screw in the middle of it. The cartridge filter is in that housing.

Anonymous
0

the filter is a canister type. the skid plate has to come off. you will need a toyota special service tool to remove the filter. it is not spin on like the 4.7. the filter has to be bought from toyota

mharris672
125

Yes...it's a filter element within a housing. I removed the skid plate. Next, I un-screwed the small metal cap using a 3/8" drive ratchet & extension. Finally, I used a clamp-type oil filter removal tool (and some channel-lock pliers) to un-screw the black plastic filter-holder. Re-installing is easy. Ensure the filter element is on top of the black plastic filter-holder, then screw the filter-holder into the metal housing. When it starts to get tight, just install the small 3/8" drive metal cap and use your ratchet to tighten the entire assembly. (Now I'm just trying to find our where I can get a new filter---dealer?---or, if I can clean & re-use the existing filter element). M.H. (5.7L Tundra rocks)!

handydude
70

at the front end of the motor, bottom left side (driver's side). it does not look like a canister oil filter, it is actually an aluminum and plastic capped housing. it uses a replacement cartridge that is actually reasonably priced - and it should be for the amount of work you have to do to replace it.

Bryant Melesko
145

And its covered by the skidplate.. take the skidplate off and it'll immediately be obvious where the oil filter is on the 5.7L Tundra. ;)

MCOLA
65

Wal-Mart carries the FRAM filter element $6.xx

wyo_phil
20

Fram filters are not very reliable in my experience. Also, take one apart and look at how cheaply they are made.