will it last?

DEANDALLEY
0

Asked by DEANDALLEY Apr 08, 2011 at 11:11 AM about the 1999 Buick Regal 4 Dr GS Supercharged Sedan

I am thinking of buying a 1999 Buick Regal GS
It is in MINT comdition with 133, 000 KLMS/ 82,000 miles
I can get it for $4,500.00 Canadian

Will I get many more yrs out of this eingine?
Is it a good price?
It  probally wasn't highway driven, so would the motor blow driving it on the highway?

Joey Warren
220

Very worth it if the cars are in good shape. They are Supercharged so they need 93 octane at all times. Failure to do so will result in detonation and eventually be the end of your engine. I own a 98 and have had no problems at all. The 3.8 or 3800 Series is one of the toughest engines GM ever made. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Run it to death, and like all cars, you will have problems. They are quite strong but yet get good fuel milage on the highway. 240 HP and 280 LB/FT of torque. I averaged 36 MPG on the way to the beach one year just cruising with traffic. Joey

Sean Stanley
65

Can't agree with the other comment about required octane. Eaton and the manufacturers they build superchargers for always say to put in super unleaded. In the case of the Regal the knock-retard program is so aggressive that I have ran regular unleaded for years without any knock or detonation and I'm at almost 200,000 miles. I've only upgraded when parts fail or need to be replaced. For almost 100,000 miles the coupler on the snout of the supercharger has rattled, the rear exhaust manifold leaks when engine is cold, most parts are still original. I've driven it from CA to NC and back recently, loaded down with all my stuff, and still AVERAGED 28 MPG on regular unleaded. It's an amazing car and tough as nails.

Joey Warren
220

It is stated in the manual to run 93 octane only, on the dash and on the fuel door. It does not matter what it WILL run on, it is what it needs to run right. Buick designed it so they know. It could come back and bite you later running 87 all the time. Just my 2, JW

98RegalGS
0

I own 2 1998 Regal Gs's. They are outstanding cars that last a long time with minimal problems. As with all cars, it depends on how you take care of them. One of my Regals has 178,000 miles on it and it still runs strong and smooth. The other one has 135,000 miles and it runs like new with tons of power. These cars are by far my favorite cars of all time. Great power, decent MPG, comfortable, Lots of room inside, smooth riding and cheap to buy. The common problem that the engines have is the plastic intake manifold gaskets go bad prematurely. GM has an "updated" version of the intake gaskets that are made of aluminum instead of plastic. I just installed a set this past weekend. Shouldn't ever have that problem again. Have a mechanic check out any car before you buy it and don't get lazy with the maintainance and these cars will last almost forever. Great cars.