"Service Engine Soon". Is this the same thing as a Check Engine light?

SKUNK1019
25

Asked by SKUNK1019 Nov 10, 2013 at 01:12 PM about the 1998 Buick Regal 4 Dr 25th Anniversary Sedan

judge_roy

okay Service Engine Soon is a reminder to tend to the maintenance items....you can verify this by the schedule in your owner's manual...if you've got a CEL is because you've over-filled the tank...not stopped at the first click or the O2 sensor is all worn away to a stub~ Eighteen dollar (from newegg) Scanner for OBD-II...you can READ and RESET the trouble codes with this~

119,305

Same thing

judge_roy

this really depends on which buggy you're talkin' about Tom...I think....the 2006 MINI has both....the 2005 Prius has both~

SKUNK1019
25

Thank you for your responses. Specifically, this question was for the 1998 Buick Regal 4 Dr 25th Anniversary Sedan which I bought without the owners manual. Since I asked the question, the "change oil soon" light comes on for maybe 15 seconds upon start up. Is there a reset procedure for this? I assume it's based on mileage driven since the last reset. Or, is it actually somehow calculating the viscosity of the oil. I changed the oil about 2500 miles ago. Thanks again for your help!