Are used car dealers obligated to provide a carfax

Brougham2014
0

Asked by Brougham2014 Oct 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM about the 2003 Buick LeSabre Custom

Are dealers required, or is it customary for them to provide a carfax report?

2Geminis
55

yes they are

Brougham2014
0

Dear CarGurus: Thank you so much for your assistance in this matter. I researched the Buick LaSabre (2004) Limited with 93k miles. According to the Blue Book, I got it for $450 less than what they had it listed for. I really don’t know how I can have my mechanic check it out on such short noticed (the dealer is about 35 minutes away). Parson’s Buick of Plainville, CT is a reputable dealer and the car performed admirably during the test drive. I put $100 down on the car so I haven’t actually purchased the car, but this will be a moot issue by Thursday, Friday at the latest. I can always say no I guess. I can’t seem to find the title to my trade-in so I have already filled out the title search form and will pay a visit to the DMV tomorrow morning. If it doesn’t go smoothly, I will tell the dealer to take my trade-in off the table. This will undoubtedly jack up the purchase price and I really wanted to give my old LaSabre to someone else free of charge…you know, Karma and all. After the trade-in ($200), Conveyance Fee ($295), Tax ($539.44), Transfer Charges ($56), and my $100 deposit, the balance is $8990.44. This includes 6-months/6k miles bumper-to-bumper warrantee, and life time car washes, which doesn’t amount to a hill of beans with respect to anything else other than the engine and drive train. I really wish I could have taken it to my mechanic. I wonder if I do take it to my mechanic after I purchase the car and he finds something really bad, can I bring it back to the dealer…just asking? I know I could have done better with a private buyer, but I have had “feelers” out there for a couple of months now and haven’t heard anything. One thing is certain, I won’t be getting any kind of warrantee from a private buyer, but I would have had time to let my mechanic check the car out first. This particular dealer’s website offered a free copy of the Carfax report and it was pretty spotless. Yes, this car will be ten years old in January, but the mileage is relatively low and the car is immaculate…very well kept and packed to the nines with all the amenities you could possibly want and then some. I just wanted leather seats because I am notorious for spilling coffee all over the place and it is difficult to get coffee out of cloth seats. My 1998 Buick LaSabre has 273,000 miles and the engine still purrs like a kitten. I purchased the car with 122k miles for $3k back in 2005. The car has performed spectacularly. I really don’t want to own anything else but a LaSabre. I would be more than happy to provide more feedback, and/or testimony as to how this deal panned out. Sincerely Grateful, Rocky Hill, CT