What causes the gearsghift indicator lights to not go into park and neutral when the shifter is in park or neutral?

AllenJeff
10

Asked by AllenJeff Jun 27, 2013 at 03:21 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Base

reverend1735
625

just going from my experience in repairing cluster.... I would have the soldier connections redone on the all of the resistors on the cluster.. more importantly there are two groups of them close to the middle of the of the board, as well a,s the soldier connections on the back of the board where the shift indicator mounts to the board At the factories they run the circuit board over a wave pool of soldier. To save money, they have reduced the amount of soldier the use in the pools. Unfortunately that leads to a MUCH higher likelihood of getting cold soldier points. I'll see if I can find you a picture. If you have a local electronics store that installs alarm systems, car starters, sound systems, ect. and repairs electronics, see if you can have them re-soldier the connections. Just going off of what we charge customers and local car dealers for the same thing... you shouldn't be looking at more than 45 or 50 dollars

AllenJeff
10

The crazy thing about this is that everything was working fine, in respect to the gearshift indicator lights, until I replaced the ECM.

judge_roy

gonna have to chime in with a word about battery life and grounding here...2004 is WAY old battery is kaput as one who will stop accepting a charge ten percent per year is about to be nothing but a resistor for the alternator...buy a new one, spend $120 for an interstate what will NEVER let your down, as the "pro-rate" will replace it immediately within six months...the ground connection to the chassis/frame should be wirebrushed down to the metal and the lug too to assure the flow of 300 cold cranking amps thru there and to the engine at a spot near the alternator....do this and your electrical problems will disappear.~