2004 chrysler town and country won't start after replacing ecm - does the key need to be reprogrammed?

AllenJeff
40

Asked by AllenJeff Jun 27, 2013 at 02:52 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Base

Had a bad ecm.  Ordered one online preprogrammed.  When I installed it, it would not even turn over.  I noticed the gear shift indicator is in reverse.  When I shift it it won't indicate it is in park or neutral when it actually is.

DavidH25

I don't know what the supplier calls 'pre programmed' but that can not be done. The ECM must be programmed with your cut key with the transponder in it. After installation. It's no wonder it won't start. Now the shifting thing, I saw your other post and those guys both know what they are talking about

You think this is helpful.
AllenJeff
40

I wondered about that as well. I checked with the companuy I purchased the ecm from and they said some vehicles had to be done that way but not the 2004 T&C.

AllenJeff
40

The other strange thing is that when I put the old ecm back in, it is doing the exact same thing.

DavidH25

That's because you took it out and it lost it's memory. I do not understand how they can claim that. The key in a '04 T&C has a transponder.